Lighting a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_sass72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to do a little reef project, no clambs, hard corals. I was hoping someone modified a tank hood from Walmart or has an idea of what I could fit in there from HD or Lowe's. 10g tank.

Would a Zoo-med Ocean-Sun bulb do the trick for some lower light corals, possibly an anemone? How about a Coral-Sun. I am thinking with more blues in the light scheme I'd like the Ocean-Sun a little more.

Thanks,
S

Oh, the other thing I saw was an undercabinet light at walmart. I believe it was 20watt, but it said output of 60watt ... anyone familiar with something like that. I think my dh could fit it in this hood (I am not electrically inclined, but will be after this).

Thanks,
S

I have my 10 gallon lit with the 2x13W bright kit from AH supply (www.ahsupply.com); Does very well for my FW planted, I imagine it'd work fine for a reef setup with a couple of actinic bulbs.

They have instructions on building a simple DIY hood, and modifing existing hoods to take thier systems... I built my own, worked out pretty well for me. Only took a saturday.

If you'd like to mod an existing hood for more light you could go ODNO (over driven normal output) flourecent; Basically you buy a ballast ($30-$40) at home depot or online and replace the one in your purchased hood. Can double output of NO flourecents, if you get a big enough ballast. seach ODNO and you should come up with something useful.

Not sure of what wattage you require for your setup; I'm not too familiar with SW. Maybe someday... but I HTH

Back
Top Bottom