Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up my new t5's and am wondering if I'm doing this wrong.

Do the bulbs need to be in the clip, closer to the reflector?

Attachments

• image-102638061.jpg
    image-102638061.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 111
Yes, those reflectors are made to wrap around the bulb and increase the amount of light actually going into the tank by up to 300%.

Do the end caps need to go the same direction or can i mount them in opposite directions if I need to?

Do the ballast wires get soldered inside the end cap?

I would try to bring the reflectors closer to the bulbs rather than try to lower the endcap.

If those are like the endcaps I used in the shop the wire goes in and the endcap is designed to grab on to it.

yes, just jam the wires in and they will make contact (you'll need to strip the ends first of course).
i had those reflectors before. they are meant to hold on to the lamp, like fishguy said.

Can you be more elaborate on the wires issue?

Am a jamming in both wires at the same time or pos on on side neg on the other?

from looking at your picture- if you turned that end cap upside down you should see an opening with 2 areas with copper coated contact surface. each one of those areas gets a wire.

The finished canopy before wiring.

This is an in wall project so we haven't gotten to the decorative stage

Attachments

• image-536907625.jpg
    image-536907625.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 112
if it's in wall, why do you even need a canopy?
also, if i'm not mistaken, you have to wire those end caps before you fasten them to the wood.
this is what i did with my 195-
back-
img_1232844_0_1ffed571898173ee88e5bf505fd4f011.jpg

front-
img_1232844_1_dcb6fe2ec03d99fab15ce3012056f93a.jpg

Ok, well it's a built in out from existing wall. So. You'll be able to see cabinet doors and the access to the canopy.

I have front access only.

I do like the looks of that. Where did you get the hardware? I'm especially interested in the ballasts and those reflectors.

I have 2 2 bulb T5 Fixtures and 1 4 bulb fixture but can't fit all of them on top of the tank because of the sizes... I was thinking of taking them apart and mounting them just like you have so I can get all 8 fixtures over the tank.

Aquacave

Icecap endcaps and standoffs
Tek reflectors
Ati bulbs
Led moonlights

I have icecap ballasts that aren't shown. Inherited them with the tank.

I was thinking that when I upgrade to 8, I would get one or two larger reflectors? I squeezed those four in there, but if you nit doing a canopy and have more room, you should get six easy. I don't see eight over 18"

mr_X said:
from looking at your picture- if you turned that end cap upside down you should see an opening with 2 areas with copper coated contact surface. each one of those areas gets a wire.

Do I have to wire both endcaps of one bulb or just one end?

More progress pics

The bulbs are all wired along with the fans. Everything connects to a set of panels on the top of the canopy will connect to the ballasts and the fan power supplies.

This way, if i need to, I can disconnect everything by unscrewing.

Attachments

• image-3537739240.jpg
    image-3537739240.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-101761796.jpg
    image-101761796.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1353010833.jpg
    image-1353010833.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
Smitty said:
Looks good. Nice and clean. What sized tank is this going on again?

Thanks man. We try to be clean and easy. Before I hook up the ballasts, I want to find some kind of quick release. Though i don't plan to have to disconnect them until a bulb goes or I have some sort of problem.

It's going on a 125

Yes, they are 5'.

It's all done and fired up perfectly on the first try!

Actually, the old canopy lights were color coded which made it simple. And it seems they don't care about polarity.

I'm beat! But my fish and corals will appreciate this in the morning ;)

Back
Top Bottom