Lights of America bulb issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I made a stupid mistake here. I'm in the midst of making a new light setup for my 30 gallon tank and I picked up a pair of 42 watt FloureX "Lights of America" bulbs. (model 9142B)

I was figuring it'd put me at just over 2.5watts per gallon and with some DIY co2 I'd be in good shape. So I'm in the process of mounting a regular light socket for them, when I notice on the package it says the bulb doesn't have a ballast! Ack! So if I would have plugged these things in they probably would have blown out or blown up instantly I'm guessing.

So should i just take these back or is there a ballast I could pick up for them? I was hoping not to have to mail order stuff as I wanted to get the tank up and running this week. I already have a mature filter and plants in other tanks waiting for this.

well it took a few minutes, but i found some info for you...you do need the fixture that accompies the bulb, and there are only 2 that will accomdate your bulbs, their model numbers are .... 9042, 9043. they do contain the mounting fixture, the ballast and probably a stater, so its pretty much an neccessitity for the bulbs.

9042 looks like the one here.. http://doitbest.com/shop/product.as...4P4E3J9E&mbrid=0354&dept_id=110109&sku=558427

i searched home depot and lowes for you and either carries the model, home depot has 2 lights of america fixtures but at most they generate 27 watts of light. i know i have seen 65watt and 42watt units made by regent at home depot but can't find them online. furthermore i have no info if you can use your bulbs in a regent fixture can't find any info on what makes lights of america fixtures 'special' so sorry about that..

so hopefully you have a do it best around you (i don't) so if not you could always order it, sorry to be the barer of bad news..

I was afraid of that. I saw the fixture there at the store and didn't want it. I was hoping it was a regular bulb because I only have 4 inches of height to work with. The bulb by itself fits fine between the hood and glass top, I'd have to cut up that fixture to make it fit.

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pick up a fixture from Big Al's down the street tomorrow. It's just going to cost me a LOT more than a few bulbs and a 3 dollar fixture.

HD has 32watt screw-in, self ballasted CFLs that should work great for your project. Be wary of WPG as the spiral lights' restrike means much of it is lost. Many guestimate 40% of the rated wattage hits the tank with no reflector. I have no idea how accurate this is.

If you definitely want a medium light or higher set-up, the best solution may be AHSupply, which may even be cheaper than setting up a LOA rig. There are comparison pics of 2x23w screw-in cfl with a painted white hood vs 2x13w AHSupply with their reflector linked here, if interested.

I could do a pair of 32watt screw in bulbs, but with the coil design I'd be down to less than 2wpg. I do have the inside of the hood painted with a heat resistant silvered paint. I was just hoping to move to a high light setup for creating a lawn effect in the tank. So I'm really looking to hit close to 3wpg. The 84 watts I was going to have was a bit shy of that.

Right now i'm debating between a 2x65watt with moonlight
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29609;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
and a 2x36watt that I would put different bulbs in.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24053;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

I like the moonlight thing, I'm a chronic insomniac so being able to see the fish in the dark could be cool. Either way I'll be waiting till tomorrow to pick up the lights. Big Al's does the double points thing on Wednesdays, and I may as well make the most of it if I'll be shelling out the cash. Prices are higher in the store, but there's no shipping. So it works out about the same.

If I remember correctly, rich311k uses the Current Satellite over his 30, and ran 65w to give himself a chance to get medium+ light down before flipping the other switch into very high light. Great plan.

Alternatively, DIY moonlighting is no harder than your original lighting plan.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight 30" 2x65
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31776;category_id=2543

That's the one I ended up picking up, they were on sale in the store for 129.99. Figure it's a better deal than 139.99 on the website, plus shipping. Of course I was an idiot and picked it up today, even though I would have gotten double points tomorrow. I'm just an impatient bugger.

On the bright side (ok REALLY bright 8O ) The fixture fit perfectly into my hood and the whole getup fit snug under my 75 gallon. Of course it makes my 75 gallon look like it's lit with a nightlight, and I haven't even turned on the second bulb yet!

I'm still debating on how fast to move the fish. I just moved a mature filter to the 30, but the tank has been emptied and refilled so there's no bacteria in the substrate, just plants and a decoration. Probably just move the Betta and a couple of the smaller swordtails for now.

czcz said:
If I remember correctly, rich311k uses the Current Satellite over his 30, and ran 65w to give himself a chance to get medium+ light down before flipping the other switch into very high light. Great plan.

Alternatively, DIY moonlighting is no harder than your original lighting plan.

Your memory is correct. It worked very well. I actually turn one off when I go away and wont be home to mind things.

If look in my gallery there is one where you can see the whole light. Give me a moment I will take a few.

Just about the same thing, the model I picked up has a pair of blue moonlights and the exhaust fans are on the top. Came with a 10k and an actinic bulb in it. I figure I'll start with just the 10k, then once I get the rest of the plants I'll kick in the actinic or swap it out for a 6,700k plant light. I'm hoping to do a grassy carpet once everything is going well. I think it'll depend on my DIY co2 skills, so that'll be an interesting endeavour...

Back
Top Bottom