Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live plants

I have a mbuna cichlid tank and have been thinking about getting live plants to add to it. But I know nothing about growing underwater plants. Cichlids aren't known to eat live plants are they? What kind of plants are good for beginners? Do they need a treatment to be applied to the tank and if so how often?

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

IME, mbuna view some live plants as dessert; anacaris in particular. Some on here are able to keep them, so it likely depends on both the type of plants and the number of plants you put in the tank. I would definitely research it carefully before adding any.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB
I have a mbuna cichlid tank and have been thinking about getting live plants to add to it. But I know nothing about growing underwater plants. Cichlids aren't known to eat live plants are they? What kind of plants are good for beginners? Do they need a treatment to be applied to the tank and if so how often?
My mbuna are rigorous diggers, even if they didn't eat the plants they would surely uproot them.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have tryed it multiple different ways and I couldn't keep them in the tank. They uprooted, ate and ripped them up till I took them out. Even some of the people that had success keeping plants ended up taking them out in the long run, but some people are able to long term. If you keep mostly herbavors and carnivores your chances aren't very good imo.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Ill prolly forget it then. I figured since a lot of the cichlid tanks I see, I feel like they hardly ever have many plants if any at all.

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Thanks. Ill prolly forget it then. I figured since a lot of the cichlid tanks I see, I feel like they hardly ever have many plants if any at all.
Now you know why lol plus there isn't many if much at all in their natural home

Tags
live, live plants, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com