Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
I have been watching this one, and have not spoken up because sizes were not discussed until now.I do not think half inch acrylic is suitable for a tank of those proportions. I can practically bend half inch with my hands at a four foot length, so I know that the pressure of the water will definitley stress it... My friends 200 or so gallon tank is made from one inch with a full perimeter top brace.
thank you for the reply, thats one question that was never answered. I didnt have a drawing at the beginning, but had posted the deminsion in the first post. I am a visual person, and need to see, thus why I posted the visual side of it too.

thank you all so much for all the help

Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope you get a chance to build it, and it all works out.. of course when you do, PHOTOGRAPHS are in order!

Another thing is, when welding acrylic edges, all saw marks must be polished smooth with a wet sand method. You must make sure to use a sanding block that will help to keep the edges as close to flat as possible, and perpendicular as well... This helps insure a tight, bubble free weld. Also, when you weld I believe you would want to use a gel instead of liquid welding glue.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
Hope you get a chance to build it, and it all works out.. of course when you do, PHOTOGRAPHS are in order!

Another thing is, when welding acrylic edges, all saw marks must be polished smooth with a wet sand method. You must make sure to use a sanding block that will help to keep the edges as close to flat as possible, and perpendicular as well... This helps insure a tight, bubble free weld. Also, when you weld I believe you would want to use a gel instead of liquid welding glue.
thanks a bunch, that info will help a ton when I get to the construction stage

Tags
custom, custom tank, project, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com