Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hi, i am new to this site and just came across youre new installation.. looks really nice,did you do all the carpentry work yourself? i am looking to purchase a 6' foot aquarium soon but i will have to make my own stand also but it will be in the living room basement i am still drawing up the plans.. it will probably be made out of MDF and painted black... what did you do with youre old aquarium ? how long have you been in the hobby?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrat's on the new tank. Nice job on the pics on the step -by - step process. Looks Real good.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FastFly67
I'm highly jealous.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Basically my dream setup. So Tight.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWerner13 View Post
Basically my dream setup. So Tight.
it's mine too, i have been dreaming of it for about 20 years, i'm finally at a point in my life where i had the money, the perfect wall/room and the house i plan on living in for a very long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanpat View Post
hi, i am new to this site and just came across youre new installation.. looks really nice,did you do all the carpentry work yourself? i am looking to purchase a 6' foot aquarium soon but i will have to make my own stand also but it will be in the living room basement i am still drawing up the plans.. it will probably be made out of MDF and painted black... what did you do with youre old aquarium ? how long have you been in the hobby?
hello, yes, i did all of the work myself except i had someone do the electric when i had another recepticle moved into the room for extra power, if you make your stand out of MDF just remember water is 8# per gallon, i think you would need some more bracing for it, i was giving my old tank away but it cracked as me and my son were moving it in the yard, i have had some type of fish for over 20 years now

thanks for the kind comments everyone, it was alot of work but well worth it when you can sit down on the couch and watch the fish

fyi for those who are interested, below is my estimated costs to do this project

Quote:
$547.00 - tank and lid, upgraded starphire glass
$250.00 - approximate lumber and framing to build stand and frame it out
$498.00 - filter, lights, heater, pump, hose, some fake plants
$350.00 - rocks, decorations, more fake plants, test kits
$517.00 - price for electrical work to add more, dedicated power to the room
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #16

hi, do you know of anyone that has ever built an aquarium stand just out of MDF ? the stand i will make is for a 6' but i am making it with 1" thick MDF ... i will have the top sitting on 6 divisions of 1" thick mdf and that will rest on my platform the same size as the top ... the whole stand will sit on a little base of 2" high , something like the bottom of most kitchen cupboards are made , if you know what i mean... of course i will put a back and make some raised panel doors for the whole thing to give it its finish look... i will make a dome for the top also with a look of raised panel front also... i think that 6 divisionns of 1" thick should be strong enough.. i am looking for a site that can tell me how strong mdf is but can find none yet... if you have any other advice ... i would appreciate it thanks... just another little question. when i recieve a response from a member it shows up in my home email, is this normal ? i thought that the responses to questions would show up on this site... maybe its just me because im still trying to find out how the basics of this site works.... man i wish that we had people to communicate with like this years ago.....its comforting to know that we have friends at our fingertips.... thanks again for all youre informatoin.......... Pat...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Normally responses come thru the site. Not sure whay someone would respond to your home email directly - unless you've set your preferences to recieve notifications thru your email. The AA/this site will send it to your email in that case. I like to get those notifications that someone has responded to a "subscribed" thread - that is anything you've started or responded to. Otherwise, unless you're logged in to AA, you won't know yu got a response.

Did I make that clear as mud for you???

P.S. - what is "mdf"?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post

P.S. - what is "mdf"?
medium density fiberboard... Temple-Inland / Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanpat View Post
hi, do you know of anyone that has ever built an aquarium stand just out of MDF ? the stand i will make is for a 6' but i am making it with 1" thick MDF ... i will have the top sitting on 6 divisions of 1" thick mdf and that will rest on my platform the same size as the top ... the whole stand will sit on a little base of 2" high , something like the bottom of most kitchen cupboards are made ,
how many gallons is your 6 foot?

well 1" MDF will probably hold up, however i do not know about the base you are talking about, i'm not sure if that would provide even weight distribution or not, but i'm not a professional cabinet maker by no means

the only thing you may want to consider is putting braces in between your divisions to help prevent any warp or sway, myself, i would feel more comfortable if there were some 2x4 bracing in there to add some strength, i have attached a crude drawing of what i think you are talking about and the braces i am talking about, but i tend to overbuild things

also remember you need a good wood screw and probably predrill the MDF, screwing into MDF, especially the end grain can split it very easily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mdfstand.gif
Views:	52
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	17310  
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow! that is an incredible job! I am very impressed.... though I think I would be far to afraid to do it myself even if my wife let me! Something to be proud of!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #20

Nice idea!!

Hey man cool tank i did the same thing and i love it!! but mines in my closet to and i need to put an exhaust fan for the evapurated water to escape im upgading my sump to a 50 gallon to i also gapped the trim a half inch cause im going to put fiberoptic lighting behind it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l_42ab83579b9a4a598b84f11758898aaf.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	17856   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_36ec424e3afc4bfc9f69ace8a0439b72.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	17857  

Name:	l_e01bbc1a1c5447db8a2e979f52842498.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	17858  

Tags
moving, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com