Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Thanks we haven't seen the inside yet but I'm guessing we are going to have to reinforce the bottom of the TV with something anyway. It's made of chipboard by the looks of it.
Oh yeah, I'm sure you will have to reinforce with something. That old wood isn't going to hold 200 lbs lol.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
At the moment I have a canister filter on the tank. I'm thinking of swapping it for a HOB that will fit inside the TV and hang off the side of the tank out of view. The same with the heater. It should fit on the side of the tank that's hidden.
Hubby's an auto electrician so has access to led lighting used on trucks and boats. The plan is to use them because they take up less room (and are waterproof) then the standard t8 I have on the tank at the moment. I want them to grow low light plants so I'll have to do some research to see if they are suitable.

I can see from the replies! Let's hope I don't stuff it up now. Lol

Are you thinking about maybe using an old style Remote control for the Tank Lights and maybe the Air pump...That would be cool....

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pton46

Are you thinking about maybe using an old style Remote control for the Tank Lights and maybe the Air pump...That would be cool....
Yes we are

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4072220982.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	82322

Thinking of using one of these switches/buttons for the on/off of the lights. Probably the push button on/off switch.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Yes we are

Attachment 82322

Thinking of using one of these switches/buttons for the on/off of the lights. Probably the push button on/off switch.
That is gonna be sweet!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

awesome thread i've always wanted one of these tanks subscribed and best of luck
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Following along to see this one come together.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

oOOo i like ^^
i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
oh oh oh me too me too.....

mumma, you are the best...this idea is wayyyyyy to cool to pass.

i cannot wait to see the end result. well, the step by step then the end result.

I saw a gutted old television before and when you opened the back of it, a big picture tube that looks like a big trumpet will be the whole bulk in the back. Like this picture in this link:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BlTvFDTMUd...0/picture2.jpg

They all come apart so it should be easy to gut.

Have fun dear! I wish I have one here now too.

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daileene
oh oh oh me too me too.....

mumma, you are the best...this idea is wayyyyyy to cool to pass.

i cannot wait to see the end result. well, the step by step then the end result.

I saw a gutted old television before and when you opened the back of it, a big picture tube that looks like a big trumpet will be the whole bulk in the back. Like this picture in this link:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BlTvFDTMUd...0/picture2.jpg

They all come apart so it should be easy to gut.

Have fun dear! I wish I have one here now too.
Thanks! I've been doing some reading on the safety precautions needed when pulling apart old TVs.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

WARNING!!!!
SINCE MAKING A TANK OUT OF A TV REQUIRES YOU TO REMOVE ALL THE ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS OF THE TELEVISION YOU NEED TO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE REMOVING THESE PARTS PLEASE TAKE THE TV TO AN AUTHORIZED REPAIRMAN AND ASK FOR THEM TO REMOVE THE 'GUTS' FOR YOU.

YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE THE TV TO A REPAIRMAN AND HAVE HIM REMOVE THE CRT (cathode ray tube). WHILE THE CONTENTS OF THE CRT ARE NOT NORMALLY DANGEROUS, THE AIR VACUUM INSIDE CAN CAUSE SHARDS OF GLASS TO FLY IF IT'S GLASS SKIN GETS CRACKED OR BREACHED IN SOME WAY.

TV TUBES UP UNTIL ABOUT THE 1960s DO NOT HAVE INTEGRAL IMPLOSION PROTECTION. THESE CAN BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, BECAUSE THEY CAN IMPLODE VERY VIOLENTLY. YOU'LL NOTICE A LABEL ON ALL TUBES THAT ARE LESS VOLATILE THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE, 'THIS TUBE PROVIDES INTEGRAL IMPLOSION PROTECTION.' IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT, DON'T MESS WITH IT!

THERE ARE POWERFUL CAPACITORS INSIDE THE CASE OF EVERY TUBE TV SET. CAPACITORS ARE USED IN ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS SORT OF LIKE BATTERIES - THEY ARE CHARGED AND DISCHARGED AS DETERMINED BY THE CIRCUITS TO MAKE THE TV WORK. WHEN TAKING APART A TUBE TV, WEAR INSULATING GLOVES, UNBOLT ALL THE CIRCUITS FROM THEIR MOUNTING, CLIP ALL THE WIRES AND THROW THEM AWAY IMMEDIATELY. THESE CAPACITORS WILL HOLD CHANGE FOR MONTHS OR YEARS (EVEN UNPLUGGED), I'VE READ.

Just thought I'd better mention that.

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com