Mumma's TV tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks :) we haven't seen the inside yet but I'm guessing we are going to have to reinforce the bottom of the TV with something anyway. It's made of chipboard by the looks of it.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you will have to reinforce with something. That old wood isn't going to hold 200 lbs lol.

At the moment I have a canister filter on the tank. I'm thinking of swapping it for a HOB that will fit inside the TV and hang off the side of the tank out of view. The same with the heater. It should fit on the side of the tank that's hidden.
Hubby's an auto electrician so has access to led lighting used on trucks and boats. The plan is to use them because they take up less room (and are waterproof) then the standard t8 I have on the tank at the moment. I want them to grow low light plants so I'll have to do some research to see if they are suitable.

I can see from the replies! Let's hope I don't stuff it up now. Lol :ROFLMAO:

Are you thinking about maybe using an old style Remote control for the Tank Lights and maybe the Air pump...That would be cool....

Pton46 said:
Are you thinking about maybe using an old style Remote control for the Tank Lights and maybe the Air pump...That would be cool....

Yes we are :D

image-4072220982.jpg

Thinking of using one of these switches/buttons for the on/off of the lights. Probably the push button on/off switch.

oh oh oh me too me too.....

mumma, you are the best...this idea is wayyyyyy to cool to pass.

i cannot wait to see the end result. well, the step by step then the end result. :-D

I saw a gutted old television before and when you opened the back of it, a big picture tube that looks like a big trumpet will be the whole bulk in the back. Like this picture in this link:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BlTvFDTMUd8/TEXJuoHZOjI/AAAAAAAAAMU/bPXHmrt9CE8/s1600/picture2.jpg

They all come apart so it should be easy to gut.

Have fun dear! :) I wish I have one here now too.

daileene said:
oh oh oh me too me too.....

mumma, you are the best...this idea is wayyyyyy to cool to pass.

i cannot wait to see the end result. well, the step by step then the end result. :-D

I saw a gutted old television before and when you opened the back of it, a big picture tube that looks like a big trumpet will be the whole bulk in the back. Like this picture in this link:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BlTvFDTMUd8/TEXJuoHZOjI/AAAAAAAAAMU/bPXHmrt9CE8/s1600/picture2.jpg

They all come apart so it should be easy to gut.

Have fun dear! :) I wish I have one here now too.

Thanks! I've been doing some reading on the safety precautions needed when pulling apart old TVs. :)

WARNING!!!!
SINCE MAKING A TANK OUT OF A TV REQUIRES YOU TO REMOVE ALL THE ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS OF THE TELEVISION YOU NEED TO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE REMOVING THESE PARTS PLEASE TAKE THE TV TO AN AUTHORIZED REPAIRMAN AND ASK FOR THEM TO REMOVE THE 'GUTS' FOR YOU.

YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE THE TV TO A REPAIRMAN AND HAVE HIM REMOVE THE CRT (cathode ray tube). WHILE THE CONTENTS OF THE CRT ARE NOT NORMALLY DANGEROUS, THE AIR VACUUM INSIDE CAN CAUSE SHARDS OF GLASS TO FLY IF IT'S GLASS SKIN GETS CRACKED OR BREACHED IN SOME WAY.

TV TUBES UP UNTIL ABOUT THE 1960s DO NOT HAVE INTEGRAL IMPLOSION PROTECTION. THESE CAN BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, BECAUSE THEY CAN IMPLODE VERY VIOLENTLY. YOU'LL NOTICE A LABEL ON ALL TUBES THAT ARE LESS VOLATILE THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE, 'THIS TUBE PROVIDES INTEGRAL IMPLOSION PROTECTION.' IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT, DON'T MESS WITH IT!

THERE ARE POWERFUL CAPACITORS INSIDE THE CASE OF EVERY TUBE TV SET. CAPACITORS ARE USED IN ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS SORT OF LIKE BATTERIES - THEY ARE CHARGED AND DISCHARGED AS DETERMINED BY THE CIRCUITS TO MAKE THE TV WORK. WHEN TAKING APART A TUBE TV, WEAR INSULATING GLOVES, UNBOLT ALL THE CIRCUITS FROM THEIR MOUNTING, CLIP ALL THE WIRES AND THROW THEM AWAY IMMEDIATELY. THESE CAPACITORS WILL HOLD CHANGE FOR MONTHS OR YEARS (EVEN UNPLUGGED), I'VE READ.

Just thought I'd better mention that. :)

You should be alright just be careful. I've messed with mannny CRT before and never had any implode even when try to get a few to do that still nothing.

Hahaha! I'm not really worried. :) just thought I'd better put the risks out there. If someone reads this and decides to do the same thing I'd like them to be informed.

This isn't a TV, but I just stumbled on this. It would be a nice betta tank. It could go with your TV tank.
Macquarium.jpg

Got it from this page.

Grape said:
This isn't a TV, but I just stumbled on this. It would be a nice betta tank. It could go with your TV tank.

Got it from this page.

That's great! I saw one some guy made by breaking the CRT on a computer monitor and gluing plastic to it. He then use wd40 to clean it before adding a goldfish! It was aweful!

Not sure if this was mentioned, but do you have an idea of what kind of fish you're stocking the tv with?

George9 said:
Not sure if this was mentioned, but do you have an idea of what kind of fish you're stocking the tv with?

Hasn't been mentioned :)
The tanks already set up and been running 6months or so. It's got 7 neon tetras, juvie albino bn pleco, mystery snail, 5 kuhli loaches and a Betta. So far the plan is just to keep them but I might do some fish/tank swapping and move something else in.

image-2095140930.jpg

Mumma.of.two said:
Hasn't been mentioned :)
The tanks already set up and been running 6months or so. It's got 7 neon tetras, juvie albino bn pleco, mystery snail, 5 kuhli loaches and a Betta. So far the plan is just to keep them but I might do some fish/tank swapping and move something else in.

Oh! I had no idea it was set up! Sounds like you got some cool fish In there :) I'm hooked on kuhli loaches, can't get enough of them :D

Tank looks amazing too! I should fly you over to the USA to make mine look nice lol

Back
Top Bottom