Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice job.

How did you power up the 12v PC fan?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards
Nice job.

How did you power up the 12v PC fan?
That is really easy, actually. I had done one of these at work a few years ago when the AC went out for a few days. I set it on my monitor for a decent little breeze.

There is a tutorial on this page that explains it just as well as I could. (Thank tecwzrd for the link)

My fan cost $5 new. The 12v adapter is around $15 - $20 new. I found one looking through my various junk drawers and boxes. So, FREEBIE!

Good luck with yours.

EDIT: And I wired an outlet inside the light box to plug the fan into. Now I only have one power chord coming from the light unit.

On a side note, as soon as the snow melts. I am building a new better version of this project out of cedar. I am not happy with the results of this one at all. The paint job made up my mind on it. I used black Rustoleum latex paint after primer. It took several coats to get decent coverage and the stuff runs like it stole something. With that in mind, one would think that it would flow out and hide brush marks. Nope, doesn't do that either.

Live and learn.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Very nice work Ketso, but I suggest you make some type of reflector for that hood. You are lossing a lot of light without one.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilling1
Very nice work Ketso, but I suggest you make some type of reflector for that hood. You are lossing a lot of light without one.
On this one, I just painted the inside white. It's by no means whatsoever the best "reflector", but it does seem to put more of the light into the tank.

Like I said, just above in my last reply, the black paint ruined this one for me. I am not happy with it at all and have already began plans for a new and improved version made out of cedar. I have already purchased a mirror to place above the lights in the new one ($5 48" x 12" door mirror from Home Depot). The new version will be much more user friendly as well. I should also be able to use nearly all the hardware from the one above.

DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Couple of notes to consider when designing your new one.

Your installed plexi looks to be good, but I would watch for warpage over time. I think you use the attachment hardware close enough that you won't have a problem though. I personally opted for a glass, sliding top.

On my 75 gal, I have 6 T8 bulbs in my similar DIY canopy. All are ran ODNO 2X (which means the normal 32W bulb is running at about 48W). I opted for high gloss white paint for reflection (I actually WANTED to lose some light, to keep me closer to 3 or 3.5 WPG). I have no fans installed, but I did only enclose about 1/2 of the back (only enclosed 15" on each side). I installed a black mesh type material to diffuse some light (works good too!). Anyway, before lighting, my tank temp is about 77F. After 10 hrs of light a day, tank temp rises to 79F. So, at least in my setup, the fans aren't as critical. I will probably be installed one or two on a 9V adapter in the near future, just for a little bit of help.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why is it that I can't see any pictures? All I see are either a square with a red dot or the word Image. I was able to see them a week ago or so.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Why is it that I can't see any pictures? All I see are either a square with a red dot or the word Image. I was able to see them a week ago or so.
Not sure. All showing here.

DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got them working now.

Anyways, this has inspired me to build my own canopy. I started on it yesterday, I took advantage that we had a guest stay over and he had all the tools I need. He had a miter saw, a circular saw, and a saw table. Those saw benches are awesome, I have to get me one. Unfortunately he left and I don't have the tools anymore so I'm stuck at half way done. :| The frame is completely done and I still have to cut the wood panels for the outside. For some reason I think it is too heavy for my tank so I will have to make some sort of support beams. I'll post a new thread with pics once I get some tools and get it done.

Btw Ketso, What kind of ram is that in your avatar? Golden ram? I will probably get a couple rams next.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Btw Ketso, What kind of ram is that in your avatar? Golden ram? I will probably get a couple rams next.
It's a German Blue Ram.

I doubt your setup will be too heavy for your tank. Look around at other DIY tank hoods. Some are made of MDF. That stuff is heavy! The light box portion of mine probably weighs less than 10lbs. Not much weight when you think about it being distributed all over the tank.

Good luck with it. And, by all means, take some photos. Always like seeing what others do. Just remember, it doesn't matter what others think about it. As long as you do your best and are happy with it. That's all that matters.

DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Old 03-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice job on the lights, but the fans will be included in my next project.

Tags
diy, diy light, fixture, light, light fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com