Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need Advice for Light Canopy Raising

Ok so here's my delima. I just got a USA Outer Orbit MH & VHO for my 90 gal SW tank...it's pretty sweet. But the little feet on it, only raise it above the water about 4 inches, and I'm getting salt all over the canopy. It also came with a hang from the ceiling setup, but there's no stud above the tank, just regular drywall or whatever, and I dont think it'd hold a big light fixture. So I wanna keep costs low and make something to pick up the lights about another 4-6 inches and be sturdy enough to not collapse in the wind. Oh I almost forgot to mention the legs on the outer light fixture are little curved legs that have almost a 1" x 1" square that stands on the top of the tank.

Any Ideas?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe you could run extra chain and slit off at the top. run 4 dry wall anchors into the celing. that should hold it right? how heavy is the fixture? dorian

Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

"split" sorry, i cant type
Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea I'm not too sure if the guy that I rent from would like it too much if I put four holes in the ceiling, lol. I'm not even sure what he'll say if he comes over one day and notices two(if I can get away with that...i dunno know though)
And hopefully he never finds out about the three hamster cages my wife has upstairs, lol
The 90 gal fish tank looks cool enough he doesn't mind though.
I have no idea how much it weighs, it can't be too heavy though...maybe 20 or 30lbs?
The hanging setup that comes with it doesn't have any instructoins with it at all, but a bunch of screws and wires to hang it with.

Tags
canopy, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com