need idea for 55 gallon frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatality2012

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 55 gallon tank and stand for free from a relative. It has a frame that is cracked and the center brace is broken off. It has .5 inch glass so searching online for a frame, that fits, has been a pain. It also has a black metal frame, so a wooden brace wouldn't look very attractive. I thought about making a glass brace. Any ideas are appreciated!

You can check with glasscages.com and see if the dimensions are correct for their 55g frames... There are methods for 'euro bracing' which is just glass braces, though I'm not familiar with how you would go about doing so.

I have no lfs around me, only petsmart and petco. I checked glasscages.com a couple days ago and they have a frame that is 48" x 12.5", but my tank is 48' by 13'. Would the frame still work if my tank is .5" wider?

Do you think that the frame will still fit on my tank even though the tank is .5" wider. I know the frame is more for decoration, but I don't know if I want to setup the tank without a brace. The glass is .5" thick does anyone think that I absolutely need a brace or have any diy ideas for a brace?

fatality2012 said:
Do you think that the frame will still fit on my tank even though the tank is .5" wider. I know the frame is more for decoration, but I don't know if I want to setup the tank without a brace. The glass is .5" thick does anyone think that I absolutely need a brace or have any diy ideas for a brace?

It's more then decor it adds structure some tanks are rimless, take it to you garage and fill er up on a good surface and run a straight edge on the front and see what kinda deflection you get, for a brace glass should work fine I've seen it done with no problems

+1 I'd fill to half way point then check if all is good then top it off

If it originally came with a center brace, it needs one. They dont put them on for decoration. Even if it doesn't bow with a test, the potential for failure is still there. I would never suggest someone set up a tank that came with a center brace that has been removed.

Yeah rimless tanks are specifically made that way with thicker glass. I would not risk destroying the tank

Thanks for all the responses I think I'm going to put some glass braces in.

I got a 55g with the top frame missing the middle brace.
I used the tank for about an yr till I took it down.

Do updated us on ur fix...

If it originally came with a center brace, it needs one. They dont put them on for decoration. Even if it doesn't bow with a test, the potential for failure is still there. I would never suggest someone set up a tank that came with a center brace that has been removed.

+1 x 100 The braces are there to prevent the glass from bowing out and breaking. Even if you were able to fill the tank without problems, the risk of a sudden break is too great to take that chance. Just imagine the contents of your tank suddenly on the floor and you will understand.

My recommendation: Get the braces or get another tank. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom