Need some help w sump items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarGal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I just need to double check with someone who knows what they are talking about before I place this order. I am working on building a sump for my 150 and I have never built one or even seen one in person before. I pretty much have the idea of what I am doing, kind of. But as far as pump size ect I want to double check to make sure I am grabbing the right thing. The pump I am getting is a ViaAqua 4900 which is rated at 1321GPH. I couldnt find any info on it but similar pumps calculate to about 900GPH with my head hight and return design so I am assuming that will be about right. I am also ordering a Eshopps overflow pf 1200 which is about 1000GPH.

My tank is a 150 that is 5ft tall on the stand. The return will have 4, 90 degree turns.

I am just nervous and need reasurance that I wont end up with 150g of water on the floor. lol

I don't know too much about sumps but if the system is installed correctly your pump should dictate the amount of overall flow. The overflows will stop feeding water to the sump if the water falls below the vertical striations cut into the overflow in the tank, so the possibility of all 150 gallons winding up on the floor is very slight. I'm sure some seasoned veterans will chime in with more accurate info. Myself, I prefer to run canisters. I hope I helped some.

Basically aslong as the overflow is able to handle more than the pump you should be good. Just dont get a pump too powerful for the overflow (1000gph pump + 300gph overflow = mess)

BTW Eshopps makes a fine product.

Thanks for chiming in. I am just way nervy about it all. The overflow and pump are on the way. Now I just have to figure out the plumbing details and all should be well.

No problem, you'll be alright. I'm a SCARED of sumps myself but after being here for a while I found out it's know where near as risky as i thought. I'll still stick to my canister, they give me a better comfort level, oh yeah and they work good to, Eheim of course.

Here's a pic of my sump. It will give you a general idea on the setup. Water comes into the sump on the right and the return pump (external) is on the far left. From right to left you see GFO reactor, protein skimmer, fuge w/chaeto, frag area and clear area with bulkhead for return pump.
ato3_5-09.jpg

You can use this Head Loss Calculator to get an idea of the size return pump you want/need.

Here's a pic of my sump. It will give you a general idea on the setup. Water comes into the sump on the right and the return pump (external) is on the far left. From right to left you see GFO reactor, protein skimmer, fuge w/chaeto, frag area and clear area with bulkhead for return pump.
ato3_5-09.jpg

You can use this Head Loss Calculator to get an idea of the size return pump you want/need.
That must be in your basement? You must have a good sized pump for that.

ato3_5-09.jpg

Wow that is very complex. Is yours for a saltwater tank? Mine is for a freshwater oscar tank. I am basicly looking to get the water moving and have a ton of bio filtration.

ato3_5-09.jpg

Sorry, just a quick question. ccCapt how tall are your baffles in your 55 gallon sump?

Woohoo, my stuff arrived today, I wasnt expecting it until tomorrow. Foster and smith have pretty good service. I have never ordered from them before. So basicly now its all about planning.

That must be in your basement? You must have a good sized pump for that.
Yes, it's in the basement directly below the tank. I have a Gen-X Mak4 pump 1200 gph.
Wow that is very complex. Is yours for a saltwater tank? Mine is for a freshwater oscar tank. I am basicly looking to get the water moving and have a ton of bio filtration.
You want basically the same setup. It doesn't really matter if it's sw or fw. You just wouldn't have the protein skimmer or GFO reactor
Sorry, just a quick question. ccCapt how tall are your baffles in your 55 gallon sump?
They are about 14" tall.

Back
Top Bottom