NEW cube sneak peek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

I am currently head first in my newest project of an approx. 48ish Gallon acrylic cube. I am documenting everything for an unveiling set somewhere within the next month or two. Here are my goals followed by a couple of pics.

Goals:
-Large cube tank w/internal overflows and return lines
-Tall stand to accomodate:
- almost eye level viewing
- large sump and auto top-off/kalk drip
- large pvc junction box for power/ballast/timer/fan
-250 W HQI (have considered 400W mogul based)
-funiture grade oak stand and canopy
-primarily SPS tank with lots of flow.

It is constructed with 3/8" acylic and will have a solid ring top to prevent bowing. I am planning a 1 1/2" or 2" durso hidden behind a black acyrilic overflow box centered with a MAG 12 split return and two maxi 1200 psuedo-closed loop (behind overflow wall just pushing water back out low). Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks for yout time.
R-

Oh measurements are 22 1/8" X 22 1/8" X 23". The sump will be 21X15X15, with another 5G resevior for top-off. The stand measures 41"

I must give brndfrb a lot of credit, as he had been i pivotal helper in getting this thing done. Still a long way to go yet with plumbing, Kalkreactor, sump, and all the trimwork/staining, but here she stands an inch shy of 7' tall in a dry fit.... more to follow

here's a couple of the stand and canopy design. The canopy is designed where the front and top lift alone. The lighting will be attched to crossmembers so as not to weight down the "hood," if you will. The self is designed so I can have skimmer/kalk reactor access. Initially I was going to have a small resevior on it for kalk dripping but have since decided it was to small for functionality and will probably have a small (7 gallon) fuge or frag tank plumbed in if I can figure out how to light it with the limited spacing. Again my original goal was to have everything strategically placed inside the stand for a more decorative furiture grade piece. It is all oak and will have a panel door on the front and small side door....updates soon

Those are great updates. Wow the tank, stand and canopy will make a great look once its painted or staind.

I love the caonpy design and how it opens. Course you would need fairly high celing inorder to get it open.

Course you would need fairly high celing inorder to get it open.

23' ceiling directly above :D .

Right now the panel doors are giving me a headache as I have no experience with them and I insist on it being done right. So my mishaps have come lucky only to; managing to nail the hood shut twice with a brad nails off mark, glueing it shut once (a drip overnight), and ruined about $40 worth of oak stock. Not too bad considering...

R-

Back
Top Bottom