Opinions wanted for new build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engineer Brian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I am planning out my next tank build. I'll be upgrading from an 85g Tall to a 120 -180, not decided on size yet. I'm currently running a FOWLR, but looking to get back in to reeling once the new tank is running and stable. I have a few questions and would like to get as much insight as possible.

1. Closed Loop- does any one use them anymore? If so, how much flow do you run? If not, what do you use for circulation?

2. Overflow - new tank will be drilled but I'm not a fan of tower overflows. I'm considering either a Synergy Reef Systems Shadow overflow or a Custom Aquariums H2Overflow with stealth box. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is the something better out there?

3. Sump/Refugium - build my own or buy a pre-made sump. I really like the features of Trigger Systems and Skimz sumps but not sure I want to pay that kind of money for something I can build myself.

4. Top off water storage.what is everyone using for top off storage? My tank will be nowhere near a water source. The only reason my wife agreed to this new tank was that I had to promise to get my top off buckets out of sight. I want something that will hold 5-10 gallons, maybe more but I can't afford to lose too much space in my stand.

5. Return pipe - through the glass or up and over the rim? I will be using a canopy so up and over the rim can be disguised easily.
Thanks all for your input.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom