New fully automated Rio 400 with 45g sump and processor control and much much more :-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphs indoor pool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Well my names Will, I live in the south east of england, Currently employed at coca cola where i completed a 6 year apprenticeship to become a Electrical / Mechanical Engineer. Have a son called Ralph, hence title Ralphs indoor pool with regards to large Rio400 in my small room haha.

Have a small bit of knowledge with freshwater, where me and work partner bred discus in 9 individual tanks.

NEW PROJECT WOO.

Well my new project is to have my Rio400 running with a 45g sump in a new custom built frame/ cabinet, with a plc control. for starting with Freshwater community, however tank near on ready for marine at some point with some light mods. However this is much bigger than it looks but one step at a time. Im going to be looking into so many areas, so hopefully you guys can help and my help is always there for return.

- Tank drill for two wiers and durso's in each corner
- Work out pump entry back to tank
- Monitor and control temp in Sump, Hood, Return pump line and Cabinet
- Monitor and maybe control or alarm for PH in system
- Monitor and maybe control level in sump
- Monitor and control flow rate from pump
- Control lighting for Day / Night & Winter / Summer
- Monitor and alert for leakage system
- Lcd touch to monitor trends and control all sorts of options
- Automatic water change button
- Automatic water top up
- Easy manual water drainage system
- Brine shrimp harvesting Automated lighting etc
- Landscaping of 3 tier sand banks one end with intergrated caves, then two tier other end with natural gray slate bank fronts. Maybe tree stump effect in middle.
- THERES MORE BUT JUST NEED TO CARM MYSELF DOWN HAHA.

Think i need to make a new post this looks daunting haha :angel:

Last edited:
All there things i need to think about

Right these are the the questions flying about in my head, but il go slowly.

Main tank,

Drilling two 43mm holes in bottom to accept 32mm bulkheads, now the questions,

- Does this weaken the glass bottom and is it wise to do?
- how far in do i drill the holes?
- will 32mm / 1 1/2" be sufficient?
- How big do my wiers need to be?

Thanks folks

Make sure it isn't tempered glass, or it'll shatter into pieces! And no, I don't think it'll weaken the glass that much.

Hi,

Nice to meet you, thanks for start of replies. I have emailed juwel, but from other threads i believe its not toughened. Whats your experiance with bottom drilled tanks with wiers and durso?

Hi and welcome to AA! I myself have not drilled the bottom of any tanks, but I don't see why it would affect the integrity of the bottom glass. You might want to wait for someone else with more experience though.

Very intresting proyect, will definately follow this thread. Sorry no experience with drilling glass though.

Hi all,

Have had official confirmation from a polite guy at juwel called Gordon Alexander who tells me the Rio400 is safe to drill and is made out of good quality float glass.

Now whats the best place to drill my two 43mm holes? How far in?

Ciao

Why not change the water directly from the tank? That way you get to vacuum the gravel or sand as well.

Hi all,

Well this is the build for top part of my stand pipe or durso. Have got a drawing that i will upload in near future. To make pipe more compact, one leg of tee was reduced 20mm, aswell as 20mm fron one end of 90. Enjoy pictures

Attachments

• image-2485779791.jpg
    image-2485779791.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-149510765.jpg
    image-149510765.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3005149777.jpg
    image-3005149777.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-668811685.jpg
    image-668811685.jpg