Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Noisy DIY Wet/Dry

OK, I am slowly setting up my 80 gal system.

I made a DIY wet/dry using rubbermaid tubs. For the "distribution plate", I used 2 1" pipes with a bunch of holes drilled into them. I hooked this up to the overflow with a flex hose - the hose has a slope so the water is not falling straight down.

I eliminated the sucking/gurgling noise at the overflow using the Durso principle. But there is STILL a lot of splashing noise coming from water splashing inside the flex hose. I know it is from the hose since I disconnected the distribution pipes & have the overflow going directly to the sump (under water), still a lot of noise ....

Anyone has any bright ideas? TIA

jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
You could wrap the flex in pipe insulation. That should cut it out.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about DIYing a wet dry- is the water falling over the bioballs themselves loud, or just as it falls through the pipes?

·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`· .¸. , .><((((º>
jratuszn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

In my case it is in the pipes. I had the water dripping out very close to the bioballs (less than an inch) so the dripping isn't very loud. I have experimented a bit & put some batting over the bioballs. That had totally eliminated any dripping noise.

BTW, I managed to quieten the pipe noise quite a bit by relocating the connecting hose. I put an elbow connector in & have it running in a quarter circle arc. It's not totally silent, but a gentle gurgling, good enough for me.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, dry, noisy, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com