open bottom tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
im lookin at building several tanks one is an open bottom tank i know the principle of it but my main question is how do i get the water to the top i heard about a pump you can get for this job that can suck out air but stops when the water hits it or something where can i get one. or some any other ideas. but pls keep it in mind im in england (if you unsure what an open bottom tank is type it in youtube)

You have to such on a hose in the top section. The end of
gives you a good idea.

thats all good but im planning on a co2 kit and air pump so need something electric pump so the air wont push the water back but also needs to be adjustable so i can match it to the air going in

I dont think you need to match it,just make sure its more powerful,problem I see is if the pump fails,the air will still be going in.

Or put the air pump on the outer sections of the tank, less worry...

Hey there, I currently have an open bottom tank (check out my threads on it) and actually you dont need the suction pump running all the time, just to stablish the negative pressure. Then the down force created by the water which displaced the air matches the upward force of the water and voila it stays up there. You just have to make sure the water level doesnt go below the entrance of the vertical tank.

Hey there, I currently have an open bottom tank (check out my threads on it) and actually you dont need the suction pump running all the time, just to stablish the negative pressure. Then the down force created by the water which displaced the air matches the upward force of the water and voila it stays up there. You just have to make sure the water level doesnt go below the entrance of the vertical tank.

i found out you can use a diaghram pump which also has a one way valve. but i think i can use a canister with a pump primer thats if they have a one way valve or use a a combi of both

Mine is all manual, since the vertical segment holds about 10 gals. So I just displace the air by sucking it out, that had to be done once and then its done with. Im pretty sure it would also work for 70 litres, but if you want something fancier, you would need a vacum pump and in the best scenario have the vertical segment drilled at the top.

thats what im planning to do is the fancy way like this guy. but im thinking can i do this with a canister filter to hold the vacumn

What do you mean by holding the vacuum? Once the air is displaced nothing has to be done. Just have to make sure that the entrance where the pump is conected is air tight, so air doesnt go back in.

Does it have a self primer? Send me the specific info on the one you intend to use.

i think it does or at least a pump one im was thinking either a fluval 105 or aquis one advance (making a 100 litre one first then see if i get on with that before making a bigger one)

Back
Top Bottom