Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Outside rocks in aquarium

I want to make a good hiding spot for my fish with rocks from out side.

is it safe?
any formation ideas?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Totally safe if you boil em out.

look at whats natural to them and go from there, I try and make things as natural as possible.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rocks can be tested with muriatic acid or vinegar, if it bubbles it isn't safe. You might want to let the rock soak for a few days or a couple of weeks to see if the water has changed.

You can silicon the rocks together with aquarium safe silicon GE has one that is safe Silicone 1 is the one you want it is in a blue and grey tube. Make sure it is cured before putting it in your tank.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._aquarium.html

YouTube - DIY betta cave this is a good idea but I think it would look better with substrate on or rocks about the same color as the substrate. It makes it blend in a little better especially for a planted tank.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes and no. You don't want to use rocks that contain carbonates as they will increase your pH and hardness unacceptably (unless you've got a tank full of african cichlids). Carbonate rocks include marble, limestone and any sort of shell. The vinegar or (better) muriatic acid test will usually tell you which rocks contain carbonate. Rocks like granite, basalt, sandstone and slate are safe.

It is wise to either boil or bake the rocks before use to kill any unwanted microbes. I usually bake mine (at a low oven setting, no need for 350F!) but boiling works well too.

If you have some particular rocks in mind you can take pics of them and post them, I or other folks might be able to ID them for you.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^^ I didnt know that, good to know since Ive been contemplating grabbing some rocks from work

Looks like this( infact same rocks)

Fromw what I can find on them and prairie stones is that it is pure limestone, is this true? maybe not pure pure but its limestone.

How would you prep SLATE that has come out of a living river?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, looks like limestone to me! Not too many other rocks that are that white. Rocks in the central US are predominantly limestone.

Slate is fine for tanks. Just give it a scrub if it's dirty, then boil or bake before using it.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats not cool then cause we got some wicked shaped shards that I was wanting to use. Oh well guess its a trip down to the vermillion for some natural slate( its the only stone in that river's valley, makes for great summer algae slides)

Whats neat is its in chunk form still, not thin sheets like what they sell in the store, drop one of those chunks and it shatters into hundreds of smaller slivers.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've used outside rocks for 25 years. As long as they pass the vinegar test....and you sterilize them ....they're safe...and CHEAP! I also hunt my own driftwood along local riverbanks and creeks, and have used locally harvested plants as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old thread, but I think it's slightly dangerous to bake rocks for risk of exploding them once they get hot...

I have never once encountered any ill effects from just soaking my rocks in a bleach and water filled bucket, and then rinse a few times, and a final soak i something we ALL have on hand... de-chlorinator. Always gets rid of any trace of bleach smell almost immediately making them safe!

Again, I have done this method for years and years in tankful after tankful and have never introduced one bad bug or another...

Actually, any time I have introduced anything bad to my systems it was from a fish store selling me plants, fish, or live food...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive never had one explode, I learned the method from my father who has been fishkeeping since the 60's same method of cleaning rocks, not once has one exploded or even cracked. I guess its the type of rock too, I take my PH UP bottle with me filled with muratic acid and do my testing in the field then I make sure there are no cracks in them if there are I break it off with another rock and go from there.
Im not saying it cant happen, it sure can but alot of it has to do with the rocks that one is boiling/baking.

Tags
rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com