Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
polished rocks

was going to silicone some polished rocks ( purchased in Michaels craft store) to pvc for caves.........but, i see on bag, it says not for aquariums......i thought for sure that i read that they were ok

pucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
They use a polishing powder that would leach into your system most likely. I would avoid polished rocks.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh No!! I have had polished rocks in my 90 Gallon Freshwater tank for 4 months now. I had them soak in a bleach solution for a few days and then I soaked them in a bucket for a week in freshwater. I couldn't image that polishing powder would still be on the rocks!

Any idea what these polishing powders could do in a tank?

Should I take them out now...or has the damage been done.

I have had little problems with the tank (except for Algae Bloom). I have had no deaths...and somehow 3 baby Cherry BarB Fry have survived in this communiy tank setting.

I do not remember seeing that they said "not for aquarium use". I got mine at AW Moore. Hopefully it is a different brand that CAN be used in aquariums.

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i found polished rocks in walmart, of all places........says safe for aquariums
pucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to jacktheknife
i have a rock tumbler and have tumbled rocks for my aquariums
"You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain;
I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care.
As the peach blossom which flows downstream and is gone into the unknown,
I have a world apart that is not among men."

-Li Po
jacktheknife is offline   Reply With Quote

rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com