Powering night lights on pennies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While modern day high output LED's are very bright for the amount of electricty they use. My child uses a LED flashlight in her bed at night and I can get a week out of two AA batteries running it for 10 hours a night. The issue that I dont know if they have resolved yet is the color spectirum output of the LEDs. As far as using the LED's to acutally light the tanks during the day. Unlike the non planted tanks or non reef SW tanks a reef tank or planted tank are much more sensitive to the color spectirum in relation to the output of the lights. You can have a very bright light but if its not outputing the right specitrum the lights will be useless.

for lighting an area flourecents are considered more effecient from a useable light/watt perspective, as the beam from the LED is so tightly focused. This makes them perfect for flashlights tho.

This is a cool article I read awile back about lighting for "off the grid" home lighting; i.e. people who generate their own power b/c they live in areas with no electric utilities.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html

DIY to the extreme

I was just thinking along the lines of night lights myself. I doubt LED's could put out enough useful energy to actually grow plants. Just thinking that instead of plugging them in, some lemon juice in a cup or something similar might be made to look cool.

Back
Top Bottom