Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are in quite a perdiciment. When we move our tanks to our new apt, the largest tank has to be in the building below our apt (we live in the 2nd and 3rd floor). The first floor is my office so I am going to put the tank in the office. The problem: The office water heater is only 5 gal and at the moment doesn't work. So we are going to try and make a DIY python that we can attach the hose to the kitchen sink, run it out the window, across the roof (maybe 80 feet) and down into the office through the back door. In total it's probably going to be 120 feet. We are thinking that the easiest thing will probably be to make a DIY Python. This will strictly be for putting water back into the tank. We definately wouldn't be tryin this to take it out. There is a water spicket in the office closet and we are going to run a garden hose out the back door and attach the python to it to drain the water. Oh man this is going to be a pain to do water changes.

Anyways, onto our plan. Does anyone know how to make a DIY python? I tried searching but have been unable to find any plans. TIA!

I believe there are parts for waterbeds that have the same connectors as the python, so if you could find the valves and a garden tap on/off diverter valve, all you'd need is enough hose and attach a gravel vac to the end if you wanted.

The waterbed filler/drainer things are very cheap (<$3) and available just about anywhere (Walmart, Sears, grocery stores...). Then all you need is a bunch of hose-either potable/drinking water quality garden hoses or clear plastic hose and some fittings from a hose supply store. You'll probably want a valve at both ends, or some walkie-talkies (Turn it off.....NOW!). If you go the clear plastic route, bring the waterbed filler to the store and explain to them your plans and they should be able to get you everything you need. Make sure you know what size the kitchen faucet is or all is lost.

After chat last night we are going to just get a water hose that is made for human consumption. James has a set of walkie talkies which we will definately be using. LOL Our faucet is weird. We have to find an adapter that goes up into the faucet. Well, I guess its weird compared to our other faucets that we just screwed the Python directly to it.

hmm somehow I missed this.. :(

I made one of these..

what hardware stores are local?

Lowes had the tube needed but I would think Home Depot or Manards would be a little less expensive.. its the regular tubing not the reinforced stuff that you need (the stuff with fiberglass threads in it is about 2X the price and is far overkill for this project normal poly. has a working preasure of 120 psi.. its more then enough to do the job)

the fittings are the normal garden hose repair fittings.. there about a buck a piece..

I went to the pet store and picked up the brass sink adaptor for a phyton my fausets could not handle the plastic one that came with the water bed kit.... (the brass one works MUCH better)

HTH

ok.. its normal vinal thats used (50psi).. duhhh..

ace isnt the cheapest place but they have there stock online to go through.. :p

check out this link :p

We purchased garden hoses and it does the job. Slowly, but it works. We have really slow water pressure. Showering takes forever. Basically James got a metal adapter from Ace to hook to the faucet. Then he had to get another metal adapter to hook onto the adapter to fit the garden hose. They were out of the one that we actually needed, but we were in a bind and needed something to fill the tank ASAP. So we hooked the Python to the end of the hose and ran it into the office. It works great except we've stripped the threads on the piece that you hook up the hose/faucet. So James is on the hunt for another one. We've had that blue piece for about a year now, it's time for a new one anyways.

some people have a real aversion to using garden hose (anti mold pestisides)
I havnt had a problem with it in the past but I thought I would give you a heads up..

FYI: My parts list, althoug I was stupid enough to pay full price in a hurry instead of getting it ahead of time:

All from http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/
COUPLE NYL3/4HOSE1/2BARB $4.45
WATERBED DRAIN & FILL KIT $5.49
BOAT/CAMPER NON TOXIC DRINKING WATER SAFE GARDEN HOSE 1/2"X50' $17.99
Q-CONNECT STARTER SET $5.49

for mine i hooked some pieces of pcv (like ball valves etc) a switch to change the flow from the shower onto the fillter thing, ?pvc hose? adapters from the hose to pvc, and that all i used for mine. i dont use the water bed filler (though i did get one) because i let the water drain outside (one to water my mom's plants two, as not to dirty the shower) so.. yeah

Back
Top Bottom