Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Saltwater Drop-off Aquarium

So I have been watching Tanked, the show that comes on Animal Planet, and they have really inspired me to make my own aquarium. So as you may have guessed by the title, I want to build my self a drop-off aquarium. There are many pictures online of these amazing tanks, and with the help of my friends off line, and on line (you guys), I really think this will work. It going to be max 4 foot long. i was thinking of 4' long, 2' wide, 1' tall on the shallow, and 2' tall on the drop area. The drop area would start at the 2' mark. So its about a 90 gallon.

This tank will probably start building in a couple months, you see, I just finished my first semester exams and I'm going to get a job now to pay for all this. Just to much excitement to keep it in, had to share. I also want it to be viewable from both sides of the aquarium.

Some pics of the idea :

Looks soooo sick

My dad and I have kept many fresh water fish in the past, but this will be my second salt water aquarium. It is going to be made of acrylic and I will post some pics of plans as I make them. :P It is going to be a 90 gallon and I'm hoping for it to be able to be seen from both sides of the aquarium where the shallow wall section is where the overflow will be.

Problem #1. How would I get proper flow on an aquarium of this shape?
Problem #2. Do I need to have a filter intake at the bottom of the drop to keep that clean?
Problem #3. I'll come :P

To much excitement as you may
Thanks in advance,
Fishy.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

that's one interesting tank definitely cool

Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyUser View Post
So I have been watching Tanked, the show that comes on Animal Planet, and they have really inspired me to make my own aquarium. So as you may have guessed by the title, I want to build my self a drop-off aquarium. There are many pictures online of these amazing tanks, and with the help of my friends off line, and on line (you guys), I really think this will work. It going to be max 4 foot long. i was thinking of 4' long, 2' wide, 1' tall on the shallow, and 2' tall on the drop area. The drop area would start at the 2' mark. So its about a 90 gallon.

This tank will probably start building in a couple months, you see, I just finished my first semester exams and I'm going to get a job now to pay for all this. Just to much excitement to keep it in, had to share. I also want it to be viewable from both sides of the aquarium.

Some pics of the idea :

Looks soooo sick

My dad and I have kept many fresh water fish in the past, but this will be my second salt water aquarium. It is going to be made of acrylic and I will post some pics of plans as I make them. :P It is going to be a 90 gallon and I'm hoping for it to be able to be seen from both sides of the aquarium where the shallow wall section is where the overflow will be.

Problem #1. How would I get proper flow on an aquarium of this shape?
Problem #2. Do I need to have a filter intake at the bottom of the drop to keep that clean?
Problem #3. I'll come :P

To much excitement as you may
Thanks in advance,
Fishy.

Wow... Fantastic looking tank.

#1. I'd try a Maxspect Gyre (or two), that new gyre generator which pushes walls of water rather than the cones you get from powerheads.
I think you could get an arrangement going with them which would allow you to get proper flow right to the bottom of the lower section.

#2. I don't know about the second overflow but you could fit a drain on the bottom for some extra detritus removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
aquarium, ate, drop, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com