Sand blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinMcG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if this really counts as DIY because I am not going to make it... looking for an alternative to sand from the LFS.

I have heard good things about using sand blasting sand (I'm looking for black).

This seems like a good option and is only $14 CDN for a 55lb bag. Does it look like the right stuff? Am I missing anything that should be setting off alarm bells?

Hmm... just noticed it says copper slag on the bag (though not in the description). That might be bad...

There's also this one - it's a Target Green Diamond sand, but it looks like it has nickel.

And finally, this one, but I'm not sure what is in it.

Black Diamond Sand

***WORD OF CAUTION***

Please do not breath the silica dust use a mask, it can cause lung irritation and prolonged exposure or sensitive individuals serious stuff, Silicosis. Bad dust, sand seems fine. Wash it off of you and your clothes. On another thread we are having the conversation about what type of material the black sand is, there are several ideas, most anything it could be, you still probably shouldn't breath the dust.

Be safe. We usually take breathing for granted.

I forget what that green one is, but I remember NOOOOO, to the Green!!! I think it was super sharp crystal grains, probably good for removing paint and rust but no so much for fish.

Garnet sand??? don't know but is says less that 1% free silica (dust), be careful of the sharpness of the sand. and heavy metals, and if there's copper, then that doesn't seem good for inverts.

Price is somewhere around $7-9+ for 50lbs. Even if you need to call the manufacturer to understand what you are getting.

If you are getting a byproduct what could be in there? If it is sand crumbs from cutting garnets for industrial blades or making something else, could there be solvents from sharpening saw, cutting wheel, I don't know but do your homework.

I am trying for black low cost sand too that's why I am checking these out!!!

Hi Autumn,
It was the thread on the poll sand/gravel that led me to start this thread. I didn't want to hijack it by starting up a conversation about different kinds of blasting sand, since that wasn't what the original thread was about.

Thanks for the reminder about silica. I have dust masks, so once I finally find the sand, I will use one. Having no luck yet though... Can't seem to find anything good AND black, except at my LFS, where they want $50/bag and I think I would need two bags!

I think someone else used garnet sand in the forum... I just have to hunt down the thread again. But, it's not as dark as I would like, so I am not yet convinced.

Have you tried calling your local landscape materials provider? A lot can be had for a cheap price.

Have you tried looking at black Plaster sand? It's not silicate based from what I remember. Also, it looks lighter in person, but when underwater it's almost as black as my Hawaiian sand for saltwater. Just a thought.

I am going to check the Hardware store, other people tried farm supply store, maybe equipment rental stores that rent sand blaster would know where to buy.

I've got Black Blast coal slag blasting compound in my 40B and a 5g. $8 for 50lb was too good to pass up.

Good options - Thanks for the suggestions. Still trying to find suppliers in Victoria. Local hardware stores are a bust, so far.

Garnet Sand

I spoke with TacomaCompany found on Ebay in Tacoma Washington and he has so many different grain sizes of Garnet sand, which can be tan, purple, rosey purple, blackish, really beautiful, nice guy. It is around $17 US per 25LB

He does 25lb in United States Postal Service flat rate box for $9.95, but you are lucky, you are in Victoria (so gorgeous), but not lucky for USPS flat rate shipping! If you call he will probably ship to you. He can tell you what colors he has in stock in which size grains, from 8/12 - 16 - 36 - 80 size to over 100 grain size.

Otherwise I found it at the farm supply store fpr $50lb for $49.95 80 grit but looked more fine than that to me. They use it for blasting in the small boxes so it isn't always available in the same spot in the store as regular silica sand blasting sand.

Oh, thanks Autumn Sky, I will book mark that seller on eBay for the next one. I have friends south of the border I can have stuff shipped to if need be. I ended up going with an aquarium sand this time.. Still waiting for the dust to clear! But, it is starting to shape up. I have a thread about it.

And thanks for all the other suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom