sealant for making a overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I read, I did not see anything at Dow that indicates this specific product is safe for aquarium or unsafe for an aquarium. :confused:

I know many say if they are unsafe for an aquarium in the product use instructions on the tube.

At the moment, it would appear that the only way to know is to check the product label.

ok, here is the deal. you are using a product that claims to be 100% RTV silicone and a acetoxy curing agent. that agent is used in automotive, aviation, and marine fields commonly, and also is the active ingredient in normal "Aquarium-Safe Silicone" of all forms.

thats the good news.

the bad news is that, its either a trade secret, or i just cant find it, but after 20 minutes of scouring the web, I cannot find a list of the inert ingredients of the adhesive you are using. and that could be bad. because in automotive and household silicones they put all kinds of goodies in there that can leach out and kill your fish.

so,use at your own risk. personally, i would have made a stop at my local hardware store and purchased a tube of 100% RTV stuff or GE type 1 silicone. those types of silicone even though sold for house use say on the label they work for aquarium patches. a few bucks for piece of mind...worth it in my opionon.

if you want to keep using that stuff, build it, put it in a tank with no occupants and drop a feeder fish in the water and see if it lives for a few weeks to play it safe.

yea i cant use it anyways it sprung a leak i made a new one instead ( this time going with pvc) im posting it on a new thread in a second but here it is do you think it will work should i shorten the two center pipes b4 i glue
18258-albums239-picture1505.jpg

You don't use silicone with PVC _ for one it won't stick!

You use regular PVC solvent cement (at the hardware store) - once dried & cured it should be fine for fish. <Use one that said "for potable water" rather than just for sewer lines to be extra safe.>

yea i knew not to use silicone on that overflow :) it worked great for a while then i bought a overflow. but now i am bringing this desing back to my other tank making a brand new one as i threw that one away when i bought one but this one should work twice as good :)

Back
Top Bottom