Shelf Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neo287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning to build a shelf for 10 of my 10 gallon aquariums, 5 on the bottom shelf and 5 on top turned sideways to make them fit. Wood being used would be 2x4s.
The planned dimensions would be 5ft. long X 2ft. wide X 54in. tall.

Would I need to add a board in the center of the shelf for support? I would prefer not to if I can get away with it. If adding a brace is necessary then I should just go ahead and make it longer :hide:

It's going to sag over time, are using plywood on the shelves?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks,
I was not going to use plywood but probably will since the brace will be needed. I am just going to make it 8 ft long with extra bracing, I'll always need more shelf room it seems. Now time to redraw the plans.

So you'll have the 2x4 running the span the tall way? One front one back? If so you'll absolutely want a vertical support every 2 1/2 ft. Then something to tie them together in between the uprights. This will prevent sagging and twisting.

Last edited:
Yes that's how I wanted it, 2x4s running the tall way. Never tried to make a shelf like this so I can use all the help I can get.

Yes that's how I wanted it, 2x4s running the tall way. Never tried to make a shelf like this so I can use all the help I can get.

This is how I make my racks using 2x4s: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616-3.html

Post # 22

I put my spacers under the blocks so they don't appear as part of the rack but make sure the wood is the proper space apart all the way along. Also, take notice of the positioning of the 2 x 4s. They are set up so that the tank sits on the 2" side of the wood so that the 4" side is the main support. It's almost the same as using a 4 x 4 for strength. As for supports, I can get a 44" spread in between supports this way. That's good for four 10 gal tanks sideways with space in between the tanks. ( You want to leave space between the tanks to allow for some bending in the wood. )(y)

We have a dead link Andy

In Web view,

Attachments

• 1477859655402.jpg
    1477859655402.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
In Web view,

That's not good. Might have something to do with the changes with the new app. Not sure.
This is what I see in Web View:
O5DQS5Zh.jpg

This is how I make my racks using 2x4s: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616-3.html

Post # 22

I put my spacers under the blocks so they don't appear as part of the rack but make sure the wood is the proper space apart all the way along. Also, take notice of the positioning of the 2 x 4s. They are set up so that the tank sits on the 2" side of the wood so that the 4" side is the main support. It's almost the same as using a 4 x 4 for strength. As for supports, I can get a 44" spread in between supports this way. That's good for four 10 gal tanks sideways with space in between the tanks. ( You want to leave space between the tanks to allow for some bending in the wood. )(y)

Thanks for the info! I'm still reading through your thread and I love it. I need a building like yours:D

After seeing the way you built your racks I am considering doing mine similarly. Seems more cost effective, but the blocks take up room in my smaller building.

Thanks for the info! I'm still reading through your thread and I love it. I need a building like yours:D

After seeing the way you built your racks I am considering doing mine similarly. Seems more cost effective, but the blocks take up room in my smaller building.

You don't have to use block, you can also use 2 x4 or 4x4 but my concern is always nails or screws rusting ( which even the galvanized and "weatherproof" do) and having a shelf fail and a bunch of broken tanks. I don't worry about that with the block. There also are smaller blocks that you can use but you need more of them to get the height in between rows. For me, these blocks are the most cost effective.
Another option is to make the top shelf longer than the bottom. This way, if you had say, 10 tanks, you could put 4 on the bottom and 6 on the top. The tanks can sit over the block on top since the are sitting on the wood not the block. ( There's an extra almost 16" by doing this on a no support rack.) On my rack, my middle and bottom rows can only hold 13- 10 gallon tanks but my top row holds 17 - 10 gals. (y)
In the bottom pic I posted, you see the 20 gal long on the top shelf. Once I had that rack filled with tanks, I actually moved the 20 all the way to the end on top of the block. Did the same for another 20 long at the other end. That gave me more tanks for my breeders. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom