Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
stand support question

how important is it for there to be a support beam in the front-middle off the stand, the one going from the bottom to the top?

I'm planning on building a new stand for my 46gal bowfront and would like to leave that one out if possible. I will be building the whole thing out of 2x2 lumber is that strong enought to support the weight of my tank with only the four legs and the back-middle brace leg?

whitetiprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i built a stand for a 55gallon tank, using 2x4 lumber and i left out the middle supports (both front and back) and it works fine. i am not sure 2x2 will be strong enough to do that, the tank sizes are similar so i would suggest going with 2x4 if you were going to leave the support(s) out.

JProx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
as far as vertical support multiple 2X2's in series would work fine.. the burst strength of wood is actually phenomenal.. but as far as the horizontal support goes more layers of wider wood on its side is best for support..HTH
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com