Sump advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I'm looking to make a sump which will fit in my existing DT cupboard. Only thing is it has a partition in the middle to take the weight of the tank.
My idea is to have 2 homemade tanks, one in each compartment and join them with 2 tubes.
Has anyone tried this before ?
Could someone who has experience take a look at my plans please. This is my first sump and I'm not sure if the partitions in the sump are even the correct way round.
Any advice on what would bd best to use in the sump would be greatly appreciated also, DSB, miracle mud, live rock? I've red so much about all these my mind is boggled.
Feel free to rip it to bits as I want to make this right first time. ;-)
Many Thanks

Attachments

• image-4205826623.jpg
    image-4205826623.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1022210532.jpg
    image-1022210532.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 93
Not an expert, but it looks like it would work. I might move the tubes down a little to make them completely underwater when the tank is filled. I think it would be quieter that way and not introduce air into the sump. Just my .02.

Yes, good thinking, I never thought of that. Do you think the partitions between C and D are the right way? I'm not sure if the water should be pulled under the sand bed and up over the next partition. As it is now it would just flow over the top.

Thanks for your input :)

They look good to me. You want it to go over then under to stop any bubbles from getting through to the return pump.

Does anybody know what height the baffles/partitions would be best set at. The total height of the sump will be 13" max.
What's the best depth of water I should try maintain through the system?

Thanks

cjbaker said:
Does anybody know what height the baffles/partitions would be best set at. The total height of the sump will be 13" max.

Thanks

cjbaker said:

Thanks

cjbaker said:

Thanks

Nice design! It would work well.

I am still learning too do not an expert.
1. Skimmer section size of 8.5"x10" seems small for most skimmers. I think using filter sock would take less space and provide same filtration.

Height of water- if max is 13".
Depends on how much overflow you will get back after the pump is turned off. How big Is your tank?

Example. - suppose in a 30gallons DT after pump is turned off water level drops down 1 inch.
(36x12x1) that would be 1.87 US gallons.
It would raise your sump about 2". Just to calculate space or slimmer, sand and pump space. Let's say 3".
So 13" = 11" pump off level
= 8" running level

Hope this helps.....

PS: remember return pipe should not syphon back.

Cheers ;)

Hi, I have a hang on weir system which keeps the water level in the DT at the same level even when the pumps turned off. At the moment when I turn the pump off, the water that's left in the pipe on the return does come back down into my wet/dry filter . Would I need to stop this from happening once the sump's installed?
My return pipe is 25mm and intake is 35mm on my present set-up.
I'll buy a filter sock and make section A to suit as you've suggested.

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• image-3840536469.jpg
    image-3840536469.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom