Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sump/ overflow advice

Planning a simple sump for my cichlid tank as additional filtration... Using a rubbermade DIY method, want it to go through some mess and then bio media. That isn't my issue. What I don't get is how to get the water from tank... Do you use a pump or is it gravity fed... But how do u prime it? I know u use a pump to return but how do u intake?? I am confused.... Been googling my head off...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's gravity fed with an overflow box.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you.prime that.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
You can prime it in any number of ways just like a siphon when cleaning. You had commented on my build, I have some pictures of my overflow there. If you go the PVC route, you have an up pipe used for priming. You fill it with water and then you pull out the air at the top vent tubes with check valves attached. You'll also see in my build where I added a CPR pump as a back up in the off chance the overflow fails after a long power outage or something.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Here was my first test this summer when learning all this. I went with this crazy dual pipe system because after reading up, you got a faster rate through a smaller pipe but less volume per hour. A fast rate of flow reduces the amount of possible air build up or syphon break. But to get more volume you just double the setup. I don't know if I would do it again this way, at least not the same type of overflow box anyway.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE="mrbee2828"]Here was my first test this summer when learning all this. I went with this crazy dual pipe system because after reading up, you got a faster rate through a smaller pipe but less volume per hour. A fast rate of flow reduces the amount of possible air build up or syphon break. But to get more volume you just double the setup. I don't know if I would do it again this way, at least not the same type of overflow box anyway.

Tags
flow, overflow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com