sump/refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, I built a 16x16x16 sump for my 29g biocube. My question is, what size pvc do I use for the the plumbing? How do I figure out what the lines need to be. I have read that the return pvc should be smaller than the feed pvc. Is this correct? I am using a 1200 magnum for the pump. It will not be drilled.

you need an overflow box which can handle more flow than your return pump and plumbing to suit,you could use an eshopps 800 which rates at 800gph and use 3/4" pipe on your flow and return. if your pump is too powerful you can plumb a tee in the return and a valve and plump it back into your sump to compensate this.

Thanks for the advice. Good idea with using a splitter to slow flow from pump. I had not thought of that.

Why cant I use soft line for the return? I am having trouble figuring out how to plumb with pvc because no pvc matches my pump head size. Also, if plumbed with pvc how do you remove pump for maintence?

Also, Heres a plumber question. How long to let pvc cure (after cemented) before using? And do you rinse it out? Any special precautions?

It should say on the PVC glue how long to let it cure but i believe it is 24-48 some where in that ball park. Nothing special is required after. When i first set up a tank i think it's a good idea to let some activated carbon run to try and take out anything that may have gotten in the water during set up. People do use flexible line to go from pump to display tank. I would suggest trying to find an opaque line instead of clear though because otherwise it can grow algae in the line and clog things up over time.

I used flexible onto the pump and then the other end into a john guest fitting and the rest in john guest pvc pipe.

I would use flexible pipe for as much as possible and I would use unions for taking apart for maintenance. The reasons for using flexible pipe are two fold. One is that you avoid angled fittings (they reduce the flow so your pump won't have as much turnover.) water flows much better with curved pipe then going through angled elbows. Second is for sound, hard PVC will carry the vibrations from the pump and act like a speaker and amplify the sound. Soft flexible pipe tends to absorb the vibrations and dampen the sound. I noticed a huge difference between flexible and hard PVC.

Back
Top Bottom