T5HO reflectors/holders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering upgrading the lighting on one of my 55 gallon planted tanks from 2X54 to 4X54 T5HO. I need some help finding the parts though. It's currently a wooden hood that the previous owner mounted two reflectors/holders in. It works well, but there's some plants I'd like to try that need a little more light than that. There's not quite enough room to mount the extra two single bulb reflectors/sockets, so I'm looking for a 4 bulb reflector and a 4 bulb socket set. Since I already have a working two bulb set, I'd like to reuse what I have to save a little money. Plus, I like the idea of being able to switch off half of the lights if I need to. I'm already planning to use one socket for an actinic bulb to bring me to 3wpg instead of 4. So, does anyone know of a place where I can find the reflector/holder? I found a few retrofit kits online, but they're more expensive than an additional 2 bulb complete set....

Thanks!

It's all about quality. You could just get a different ballast and run all 4 bulbs off of it. I dont think I have seen 4 reflector type on DIY kits. Normally putting single reflectors is an upgrade because they reflect more light.

A local LFS by me carries Hagen AquaGLO (?) T5HO retrofit components. They were a little cheaper than the complete fixture.

I have seen PAR charts, using single reflectors with center ridges makes significantly more usable light.

Back
Top Bottom