Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just make sure that your top seat is sturdy and nobody with a body mass index (BMI) greater tha 1.3 sits on it or they may drop in and surprise your fish.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's definitely an interesting idea. If it's going to be on the floor, you may want to tack up a molding the goes around it to safe guard it from the vacuum,feet, etc. Also with the bench part, if you mounted the bench on the wall with a hinge and plan to lower it for extra company, you could also install a drop guard on the bench so when you unfold it a piece of wood will cover the front of the tank thus preventing people from accidentally kicking it with their heels while sitting. My only concern would be if that hinge broke, you'd have some very wet guests sitting in your tank.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

What if you had the front of the bench be a plexiglass window. That way, even if it did get bumped, you wouldn't worry about the tank breaking, and if you made sure it was really clean when you set it up, you probably won't even notice.

Also, seems like you could just screw the light fixtures to the bottom of the hinged benchtop, so that if you need to work on the tank, one less thing to worry about.

I agree on the fan for condensation, if it gets really bad, maybe a dehumidifier or something. Water changes are going to be a pain unless you have a python/gravelvac setup to the faucet, have a pump in the tank to pump water out, or you are able to maintain a decent siphon.

Looking forward to following this thread!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thoughta bout the plexi glass window but figured it was another to try and keep clean. One idea I'm toying around with is creating a roll top door that would slide down over the front so if I was gonna have company over that might need to sit on the bench I'd slide the door down and hide the tank.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds interesting. It sounds like your are handy, maybe you could add on another room.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
This a very interesting idea, hope you do it, and living in Ann Arbor i am hoping your a Michigan fan (Go Blue)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'm not that handy but the fiance's dad has been doing carpentry as a hobby for alot of years and my dad is an electrician so I've got that all covered. And if it gets really crazy my brother is a mechanical engineer :P

As for adding another room. That's not limited by my handiness but by my wallet
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Who is really going to kick a tank that is a bench? only children. a dogs tail? please.

One DIY tank I saw had a stand and canopy in the shape of a treasure chest. If you start out with a hope chest sort of design, you will not have to worry about strength. teak of course would be the best wood, but that costs $$$ so get a good urethane on the pine. If you make jagged cuts on the front, it would look like the treasure chest was broken into, then some gold doubloon in the tank for color... lol

the subwoofer, as long as it isnt pointed at the tank will be a very muffled to the fish. they depend upon air movement, not high pressure. we are talking about a TV sub, and not one for your rock bands PA right?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah just my surround sound sub and I'm gonna move it to the other side of the room to be safe. And yeah I'm not too worried about the kicking thing since I do everything in my power to keep kids out of my house As for the dog's tail, it's actually the main concern I have. I don't think she'd break it but her tail packs a punch and could make a pretty good smacking sound. Not sure if you've ever been thwapped by a pitbull terrier's tail but it's sorta like a whip.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
Close i have a Dalmatian, his tail has given me a black eye lol, good luck with your build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com