The sump monster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started with a 20 gallon under the stand 4 years ago. It's increased a bit:

2203619991_c77e58806a.jpg

The trash can to the right stores my RO/DI and is part of the auto-topoff (which also includes the pvc in the sump that has a float valve, a backup float valve, and holds the 2 heaters. Black switch box controls the pump, every hour for 15 minutes ). There is another one to the right of that for mixing SW.

The media bag has reef carbon in it now, I run it every few weeks to polish the water.

Next shelf up has chaeto

Top shelf has some anthelia frags

Just thought I'd show the monster. It's in the laundry room, tank's upstairs. Dolphin external pump takes care of moving the water up, gravity does it on the way down.

Last edited:
Yeah, it needs some paint (wait until Spring, hopefully I'll find a way to run the tank for a few days without a sump when I do that...and a whole lot of storage for the water) and I'm working on concealing the wiring, but it's getting better. The framing is all 2x4s to the floor with joist hangers, so it's structurally really strong.

WHOA! some day, when I have enough money and information, I'll go SW and keep this in mind.

Aren't projects funs?? Gotta be someting else you can add to it. :)

Something to round up the wiring would be nice...still thinking on that one, short of building a wiring cabinet.

Next I think another built in 75 or 95 upstairs on the system, but who knows.

Really interested in how the sump has affected the house?

1)how's the room responding to all the evaporation off the sump? Is the floor below sealed slab, carpet, synthetic or wood?

2) does the plumbing between the sump and tank follow open space/entryways or did you penetrate wall/floor?

3) spouse approval/bargaining?

= I have a spare room/office off the family room I had thought could be used to plumb a sump through the wall at the same level as the display. Simpler pump issues and the sump tank would be at a higher working level - much like your 25's. . .

thanks for sharing!

Really interested in how the sump has affected the house?

1)how's the room responding to all the evaporation off the sump? Is the floor below sealed slab, carpet, synthetic or wood?

2) does the plumbing between the sump and tank follow open space/entryways or did you penetrate wall/floor?

3) spouse approval/bargaining?

= I have a spare room/office off the family room I had thought could be used to plumb a sump through the wall at the same level as the display. Simpler pump issues and the sump tank would be at a higher working level - much like your 25's. . .

thanks for sharing!

1) The floor is concrete. It is in the basement. Have noticed some corrosion on a cheap light fixture and toilet paper dispenser in an adjacent room, but that's it. Walls are all drywall and painted, no other noticed effects.

2) The plumbing goes into the ceiling, across the house, then penetrates the floor via a 1" and a 1 1/4" hole. The return is 1/4" bigger than the supply as a backup measure. I considered running the plumbing up the wall, but it is an exterior wall and up here in the great white north, we avoid exterior wall plumbing for freeze issues if at all possible.

3) The spouse loves the tank, and the area the sump takes up doesn't interfere with the laundry room since it's larger. This is also the cleaned up version, and about revision #10 or so, it previously took up much more room and was somewhat sprawling. Now it's a lot cleaner.

That definitely makes my plumbing project seem easier now. Do you have any "soft" connections, if that's the right word. What I mean is, are the overflow and return lines all pvc to pvc, or do you have a piece of clear tubing or flexible tubing somewhere in there for vibrations or whatever? How much head and what kind of pump?

Back
Top Bottom