Things to know before DIY'ing an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My goldfishes need a bigger home, and I'm gonna give it to them, even if I can't afford one of the $150 aquariums at my LFS.

I used the DIY tool website that was linked in this section's sticky to look up materials and plans for an acrylic 45-gal. It looks simple enough, but of course, I do not want to build something that will be holding a ton of water with ignorance. I've never built anything extravagant but I know how to use all the tools and materials I was told I would need.

Again, I have never made anything that supports a lot of water weight. I'm afraid, particularly, of the scenario where I find myself being pestered by hundreds of small leaks in the process.

Any advice? What is the best way to test before filling? Thanks :)

Seriously, the best advice I can give you if you are on a budget is to just buy a used tank for a $1 a gallon or less on Craigslist. I would never try to make an acrylic tank as my first DIY project and I can garantee you won't get the acrylic or less than the new $150 tank you looked at. You'll something think for a 45g and that's going to be a lot of money in materials.

Not trying to be a downer, just being honest.

mrbee2828 said:
Seriously, the best advice I can give you if you are on a budget is to just buy a used tank for a $1 a gallon or less on Craigslist. I would never try to make an acrylic tank as my first DIY project and I can garantee you won't get the acrylic or less than the new $150 tank you looked at. You'll something think for a 45g and that's going to be a lot of money in materials.

Not trying to be a downer, just being honest.

Agreed. Costly and risky.

I have always been completely satisfied with my used glass. Even tanks with scratches look beautiful once cleaned and lit-up.

Craigslist is great. Just ignore the insane prices and make reasonable offers.

I agree that's its costly but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is worth it, if you can't afford acrylic try building a glass tank. Glass is cheaper plus some hardware stores will cut it for you for free with the purchase of the glass

I have built a few glass tanks. It would be difficult to build a tank for less than the cost of a brand new tank, if you have to buy new glass. The last 5 I built were from free glass. Used is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom