Using poly fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to Walmart tonight to buy some cheap pillows for the poly fill. Got lucky $2.50 so I bought two. Tell me if it made a huge difference. It has inly been two hours.

Attachments

• image-2028001001.jpg
    image-2028001001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 236
  • image-3697977261.jpg
    image-3697977261.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 236
It sure has! But I'd heard that they add a chemical to pillow and quilt stuffing to make it fire retardant?? I could be wrong though. I hope I'm wrong! :)

I've been using the polyfil from Joanne's for close to a year now with no problems whatsoever, but I can't speak to Walmart's brands safety. I LOVE how much cheaper it is than the name brand filter pads and it works just as well if not better!

Can't find anything in pillow saying threaded or fire retardant. Say 100% polyester.

This sounds interesting im always looking to save some $$--how do you use it though? I have a hob filter on two of my tanks now . Could I somehow use it in there?

Does your HOB have an empty cartridge that you can fill with your own media? If so, just stuff the polyfil in there and it serves as a great mechanical filter. It doesn't do much as a bio or chemical filter though, so don't use it on its own.

Yes it has two separate slots for the bags & in front of each bag is the sponge Another quick question...what do you mean it works as a mechanical filter but not a bio or med? (Sorry but with all my reading filter media still seems to be really confusing) im still unsure of how to do the routine maintenance (change them just rinse leave it alone???)

Mechanical filters remove physical particles, such as food, fish poo, or plant bits. Biological filters convert ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. Chemical filters remove medications, odors, and other impurities. You need at least mechanical and biological filtration in your filter at all times, while chemical is optional and needs frequent replacing. Mechanical filters such as polyfil can be rinsed and reused until they fall apart, but with polyfil being so cheap I generally just toss and replace it whenever my filter flow starts getting too slow. I find that rinsing it only keeps it flowing well for a week before it's back to a crawl due to how well it filters and holds onto particles.

As far as what to use with the polyfil, it's really up to personal preference. I personally would put half of your containers filled with polyfil and half with bio media (ceramic tubes, bio balls, bio stars, etc), but as long as you have a balance of the media types you can't go wrong.

Oh you bet!!! I LOVE using that stuff!!!

On some of your videos I see the poly fill poking out of your AC intake section of the filter box, do you also stuff it in there along with some in the media section of the filer?

On some of your videos I see the poly fill poking out of your AC intake section of the filter box, do you also stuff it in there along with some in the media section of the filer?

Yes it's where you would but the carbon. The other AC has 2 pouches of purigen

I had an empty chamber in my sump tank so I just filled that area up with it and its made a great difference.

Ive started using poly in my hob's...amazing..i can almost read a book across a 4foot tank

Back
Top Bottom