UV leds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I have a UV torch (LEDS) and shining them anywhere near coral really illuminates them.

I'm considering pulling the LEDS out and making an led bar, would this be safe for my tank?

It would look amazing at night.

I figured it would be OK but thought it was worth checking first just incase.

Appreciate the reply.

If UV lighting was good for corals, we would not have a glass shield between out HQI halide lamps and our livestock. I believe UV lighting to be detrimental.

I guess it would depend on the power of the LEDs Doug but you raise a good point. I was thinking we were talking about weak LEDs for accent type lighting which I wouldn't think would have much of an affect.

It's just a weak UV torch, only wanting to use it for the coral glow at night, but if their is any risk to the corals I won't use it.

I think the jury is still out on benefits or rewards on using uv leds on your tank. On one hand uv damages living tissue, on the other hand most of the vibrant color you see in coral is their defense against uv light so it may make them more colorful over time. I built my own led strip and used 10x1w royal blue leds and 2x 1w 395-405nm uv leds, and am pleased with the results, but the lower the spectrum the less powerful the light, like the blue 1w leds are much brighter than the uv's, and white 1w leds would be much brighter than the blues, so a 3w uv led would probably be equivelent to a 1w blue led.

Only about a month. I did notice this though when I put the led strip over the tank all of my coral have some glow under the the blue strip. I thought it may have been because of the uv's but I covered them up and they still glowed, they did not glow under my t5's, or t5 + MH. But my friend has t5's and if he just turns his blues on his corals glow as well. Must be a certain spectrum bulbs that cause this, because we both have actinic t5ho bulbs.

I think I might give it a try over a small piece of GSP or something, I might just skip the whole idea though, don't want to risk anything over a bit of glow!

Appreciate all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom