Wet/Dry sump ==> Refugium ==> Return Pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wet/dry filter is under my tank, but the way it's facing, I wouldn't be able to add a refugium unless I used 2 water pumps. I tried to draw a figure of what I would like to do with the setup under the tank.

PUMP.JPG

The only reason for this is because the drain pipe won't allow me to push the wet/dry filter to the left side of the tank... and I really want a refugium!

Can you rotate the filter 180 degrees and drain the water to the right side of the tank? A little plumbing may be involved, but it'll be cheaper and more reliable than adding a second pump.

You have a cen.ter drain tank? It would only take a couple elbows to move the output over

this diagram will definitely not work. you cannot synchronize 2 pumps, even if they are identical. there are too many variables involved.

Second Mr_x on that, it is impossible. Even if you get them close you will have a flood once a piece of anything gets stuck onto the intake. There are ways to do what you are thinking with one pump, however the plumbing is a little more involved, if you are interested I can make a quick diagram. or check out this site:

Melevsreef.com - Welcome!

He has very good plans and some are close to what you are thinking about building.

In my opinion you can get rid of the bio balls put some LR rubbles in that compartment and you will have more than enough filtration as long as you have an adequate amount of LR in your display tank

Can you rotate the filter 180 degrees and drain the water to the right side of the tank?

Unfortunately I can't. The filter had to be put in first, then the tank over that. Also, the tubing for the drain pipe to the filter wasn't long enough to flip it around.

You have a cen.ter drain tank? It would only take a couple elbows to move the output over

The drain and return pipes are in the left corner. The elbows would work, but I would have to destroy the filter to remove it (and I don't want a refugium that bad).

this diagram will definitely not work. you cannot synchronize 2 pumps, even if they are identical. there are too many variables involved.

Darn it! But thanks for the honesty, I didn't think about how important the sync would be with both pumps.

In my opinion you can get rid of the bio balls put some LR rubbles in that compartment and you will have more than enough filtration as long as you have an adequate amount of LR in your display tank

I'm really sure I'll have some LR left over after putting most in the main tank.

Could I have this setup? Or does the skimmer have to be before the refugium?

PUMP 2.JPG

agree with saave853. you don't want to use live rock in the place of bio balls in a trickle filter.
also, where will the algae get it's light from? you don't want to be shining a light through the glass, unless you want to clean the refugium glass almost daily.

finally, the skimmer is in the area where the water level will never be constant. this means it will hardly ever work to the best of it's ability.

If you remove the bio balls could you then drill a hole in the left hand side of the filter and plumb to the new tank to the left which could have live rock,heater and return pump,place a small pump next to the skimmer and pump water back to the filter section to keep water movement through to the LS and macro,I think this could work.

That looks like it could work, but almost worth a shot. Anyone feel that it could be a success? Thanks David for the drawing, I know they aren't easy in MS Paint.

Back
Top Bottom