What do I need to create a waterfall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiousmango

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

I created an account to ask this, as I have searched youtube but have not really found any definite answers as to what sort of pumps/filters I need for this sort of build, and to be honest I have no real idea of what kind of water filtration/pumping equipment is required in an aquarium.

I am building a small aquarium that is going to have a spray foam waterfall feature. The tank measures 2x2x2, and the water level is only going to be slightly higher than a foot as I want the waterfall to be above water. My dilemma is how to find the equipment I need. My aquarium is going to only have 20 gallons at most of freshwater in it, and I plan on keeping small fish and maybe a frog or two.

This video is where I got the idea from, however there is no specifications as to what kind of equipment is being used.

What should I use for a water pump/filtration device? Do i need a pump and a filter to keep my water oxygenated and clean? I would like to use smaller equipment that is not battery operated and that I can conceal within the waterfall/rocks. I would also like to try to avoid ordering from online.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Welcome to A.A.

Generally these types of tanks are set-up with a false bottom, so the bottom of the tank provides a reservoir of water to pump for the waterfall. Any small in-tank pup would work ExoTerra which is typically carried by Petco makes a couple nice ones that are different sizes/water volume. Pump will connect to plastic tube or PVC piping to distribute to the waterfall.

Water and height

Hi folks,

I created an account to ask this, as I have searched youtube but have not really found any definite answers as to what sort of pumps/filters I need for this sort of build, and to be honest I have no real idea of what kind of water filtration/pumping equipment is required in an aquarium.

I am building a small aquarium that is going to have a spray foam waterfall feature. The tank measures 2x2x2, and the water level is only going to be slightly higher than a foot as I want the waterfall to be above water. My dilemma is how to find the equipment I need. My aquarium is going to only have 20 gallons at most of freshwater in it, and I plan on keeping small fish and maybe a frog or two.

This video is where I got the idea from, however there is no specifications as to what kind of equipment is being used.

What should I use for a water pump/filtration device? Do i need a pump and a filter to keep my water oxygenated and clean? I would like to use smaller equipment that is not battery operated and that I can conceal within the waterfall/rocks. I would also like to try to avoid ordering from online.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

You could use a water feature for a pond, providing water is deep enough for the intended pump (varies by make/model) plus some DIY spraybar type output.

You should be able to conceal it but, how are you going to clean it?
Another idea? An inverse weir. Does that make sense?

Basically use a regular external filter and custom fit a small shallow weir to the INSIDE of the tank at waterfall upper height, run outlet from filter into weir, it will flood and create your waterfall. This way you can build the flow pattern of your waterfall to a specific corner or edge, but, once fitted it will be difficult to change location. The plus points, the filter is accessible (easy to clean) it will also be the pump, this means your rock work can stay put. It's tricky getting them all back just the same as before, the way you liked it.

Option one won't really look like a waterfall it'll be individual lines of water as per the drilled holes.
Option two will overflow uniformly providing the exit path of the water is level across the junction. (This may work with the spray bar outlet with a slot along its length, horizontally placed and uppermost to allow flooding)

Either method should be effective for oxygenation/dissipation. I think the external will be better for water quality, I prefer these over internal types as they do a better job. (They work equally well until cleaning time, internal types eject some material back into the tank during removal making it necessary to clean them twice, once then a day later, even then they spit some back)

I use all three filters I have mentioned,
the water feature pump(DIY modified spray bar), internal and external types.

Given the space, I'd build option two.
(You could even fit the slotted spray bar to the external filter outlet, eheim and others do spray bars for filters, not the cheapest way to go though) if you're building the tank (I assume cutting the glass etc) the off cuts can be used for the weir box, 50mm/2" square would be sufficient depth/width then the length can be tailored to your needs/tank.

Hello J...

Use a Hagen AquaClear filter that hangs on the back of the tank. All you need to do is get some plastic tubing to fit and lengthen the intake tube and attach a small filter piece on the other end to filter the incoming tank water and keep fry from being injured in the filter. To hide the filter, you can use potted philodendron, pothos or Chinese Evergreen. I have emersed land plants in my tank and have the Hagen filters set up similar to a waterfall to help aerate the tank water. It wouldn't take much work.

B

Hello J...

Use a Hagen AquaClear filter that hangs on the back of the tank. All you need to do is get some plastic tubing to fit and lengthen the intake tube and attach a small filter piece on the other end to filter the incoming tank water and keep fry from being injured in the filter. To hide the filter, you can use potted philodendron, pothos or Chinese Evergreen. I have emersed land plants in my tank and have the Hagen filters set up similar to a waterfall to help aerate the tank water. It wouldn't take much work.

B

(Hello)
That would be easier! Never used a hang on type filter, I'm not sure how they work! (I know they hang on and filter, don't be silly:D)

That would make it easier to access for cleans I guess, hidden at the top, rather than buried at the bottom!

(Just out of interest, do they eject muck back into the tank like internal filters, when removed for cleaning?)

Back
Top Bottom