When Resealing a Tank is it O.K. too. . . . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrymedik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
use a hair dryer to expedite the curing process? it's cold in my garage and it is taking forever for the silicone to cure. It's been 18 hrs and it is still tacky. I need to get the sides done as well and would like to completet the task before the weekend is over.

Thanks for the advice!

Ehhh, maybe. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. Besides, it takes the silicone a minimum of 48 hours in ideal conditions before it's 100% cured. So, even if your garage was 70°F, it'd take the entire weekend. I don't really know what to tell you. I did mine in my basement, and as such didn't have to worry about the acetic acid smell. I'm also not sure how long it will take the silicone to cure in 50°, or 40° temps. Anyways, as for the hair dryer, I probably wouldn't, but who knows. If you're feeling adventurous, give it a shot. Just make sure you don't take the glass from really cold to really hot, as you might crack it. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom