Will my nitrate reactor work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sschofie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I'm working on a nitrate reactor for my saltwater tank and wanted to know if you think it would work. I'm running a 55 FWLR. I do not have a skimmer(yet!), 3 powerheads(470g/hr), 40 lbs. crushed coral substrate, 1 Power Filter, and 8 fish. I know that 8 fish are too much for this size tank, but hopefully this reacor will help reduce my weekly water changes(RO/DI or Ocean Water from the beach).

[center:b4cb853d68]
nitrate.jpg
[/center:b4cb853d68]

ok. I don't currently have a digital camera so I created this pic for ya. As you can see it is 2 inch PVC at 43 inches tall with 1/4 inch input/output. Now when I tested this thing out I was cycling a half(1/2) gallon in 20 minutes. If my calculations are correct that would be 1.5 gal/hour which then comes out to 36 gallons a day passing through this chamber.

My question is this: Will 36 gallons a day be enough water flow for this to work or is it not enough or too much.

Sorry for all the repeat pics.

Attachments

• nitrate.jpg
    nitrate.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 606
  • nitrate.jpg
    nitrate.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 629
  • nitrate.jpg
    nitrate.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 655
I realize that there is a chance of getting more than I bargain for with the beach water, but I filter it as much as I can before putting it into the tank. But on the other hand my LFS only use ocean water in their tanks, so I don't think it will be a problem.. Back to my original question, do you think my Nitrate Reactor will work?

i think it should. it really is the slower the flow the better for a nitrate reactor, but i think where you have it is good. is the input just straight down to the bottom or does it coil? the longer the tube down to the bottom of the reactor the better and the more water it can process. also be pationt. it will take a long time(up to 6 weeks) for it to start working cause all the bacteria has to grow

I realize that there is a chance of getting more than I bargain for with the beach water, but I filter it as much as I can before putting it into the tank. But on the other hand my LFS only use ocean water in their tanks, so I don't think it will be a problem.. Back to my original question, do you think my Nitrate Reactor will work?

Thanks for your reply foma2000, the input goes straight down to the bottom. I thought about coiling it but opted for straight. Thanks again for your help

I think it needs to coil to allow the water time to use up and oxygen left in the water. I may be wrong but I understood that as being the reason for the coils.

RMPD109 is right the coils are so that it takes longer for the water to reach the bottom. that way arobic bacteria can grow in the coils and use up all the 02. it would also be a good idea to but some bio balls or other such media in the center of the tube for anarobic bacteria to grow (the ones that dont want any 02). putting the bio balls in the center will alow more anarobic bacteria to grow and there for make your reactor more effecient

Thanks grimlock3000, I will try to lower the flow a lil bit. I haven't tested the unit with my filter media in it(on order) yet, so hopefully with the chamber filled it will flow a lil slower. If not, I'll come up with something. Thank You All!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom