Albino Alligator + other herp pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fluff said:
Toirtis said:
cJw said:
I do remember reading that venemous snakes had UN-round pupils and this snake's pupils sure look round... hrm.

Actually, a number of venomous snakes do have round pupils.

I agree. You certainly don't want to use that as an indication of if it's venomous or not. 8O

Like all those coral snakes out there....or hoggies....or even garters (which have been found to have a very weak venom).

I never stay around long enough to see what shape a snakes eyes are. When I was younger I worked for a consevation service and we cleared brush and did landscaping. Me and a co worker were chopping with machete' and heard a rattle. At that moment he struck the snake with his blade. Turned out to be a rattle snake he chopped in half. We showed our crew leader and he said did you guys have to kill it. We didn't mean to but I'm glad we killed it.

Like all those coral snakes out there....or hoggies....or even garters (which have been found to have a very weak venom).

When you say 'hoggies', do you mean the 'hognosed' or 'leaf nosed' snakes? Venemous? I didn't even think they had teeth!?

I don't remember exactly where I heard the pupil thing, but I would treat any snake I didn't recognize as venemous until I knew otherwise. I just wish I had more chances to do so - I haven't even seen a snake since I moved to KY; we're a little too urban for 'em, I guess.

Of course, I don't go looking for 'em, either... maybe I should. :D

cJw said:

When you say 'hoggies', do you mean the 'hognosed' or 'leaf nosed' snakes? Venemous? I didn't even think they had teeth!?

Hognose snakes....Heterodon ssp....rear-fanged, and their venom can actually make you pretty miserable if they get a chance to chew some in.

I can't say I'd ever been bitten by a hognosed snake, but I never, EVER had any fear of them @ all...

They never tried to bite, even, just reared up like a wannabe cobra (very cool to see!), and if that didn't work, played dead, and when THAT didn't work, they liked to poo all over you.

No biting, though - same snake?

We have a garter snake in our yard on a regular basis. I have id'ed him via the internet so I am fairly certain he is a garter, although I don't remember exactly which one. He is venemous???? My kids and I like to watch him when we see him, we don't touch him or harass him, just follow him for a few minutes and talk about how cool he is. Should I be concerned and more careful?

I've been bitten by garter snakes, moreso when I was about 10, and had no adverse effects, other than maybe some itching @ the location.

I would assume Toirtis that by "a very weak venom", means it's not very threatening to humans at all. Continue viewing Mr. Garter @ your leisure. :p

cJw said:
I've been bitten by garter snakes, moreso when I was about 10, and had no adverse effects, other than maybe some itching @ the location.

I would assume Toirtis that by "a very weak venom", means it's not very threatening to humans at all. Continue viewing Mr. Garter @ your leisure. :p

Correct...like the hognose, they need to chew it in a while, too.....most people feel some mild itching at most....a very few people get some very minor on-site swelling.

Sorry for the mini-freak out there. I am absolutely terrified of snakes, but it is not a fear I want to pass on to my kids (a healthy respect, yes). So I have always felt like the garter snake was safe and got a little freaked at the venomous factor. :oops:

I do suck up all of my fears when we have an opportunity to touch a snake (one that is being held) like the one we saw at the museum last week. So my kids have been able to touch a couple of snakes, following in the footsteps of their brave mother. :lol:

Thanks for the reassurance!
Kimberly

I saw a White Gator at the Audobon Zoo in New Orleans a couple years ago, was pretty cool. Here it is:
lead014b.gif

Turns out there is an interesing story behind them, check it out:
Louisiana's Amazing White Alligators...
...18 white alligators hatched in one nest. It was an amazing find!...
http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/le/cover/lead014.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom