Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #21

So, is it safe to say I wasn't truly alone in this tank crash disaster where I needed to start over from scratch?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You are not alone here!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a 20 gallon tank that had been set up in my room since as long as I can remember. Then I ha it crash because I had a shy fish that I didn't see very often die in an ornament and I couldn't see it inside and didn't notice it missing because it rarely came out. The ammonia from the decomposing fish killed almost all my other fish. Only one survived. Transferred him to my 10 gallon and took down my 20. It has yet to be set up again and it was a couple years ago. Fortunately I got a 55 gal and have that up an running for a year.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
You are not alone here!!!

Thank you, Autumn....
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRedeemer View Post
I had a 20 gallon tank that had been set up in my room since as long as I can remember. Then I ha it crash because I had a shy fish that I didn't see very often die in an ornament and I couldn't see it inside and didn't notice it missing because it rarely came out. The ammonia from the decomposing fish killed almost all my other fish. Only one survived. Transferred him to my 10 gallon and took down my 20. It has yet to be set up again and it was a couple years ago. Fortunately I got a 55 gal and have that up an running for a year.
Thanks for sharing, Redeemer; what do you have stocked in your 55 now?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 angel fish 2 bristle nose Plecos 1 bala shark 2 striped rafeal catfish
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #27

Very nice!

Any pics?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

About 6 months ago, I lost my baby boy, Augustus. He was a huge, gorgeous orange and white oranda. To this day, we still have no idea what actually made him ill and his only tank mate, a brown oranda named Hans, won't accept any other fish for longer than a month or two. I think he misses Augustus as much as we do. I recently drew a cartoon of Augustus for a mural at my work and it's really helped me feel better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2121188029.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	103577  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssea View Post
About 6 months ago, I lost my baby boy, Augustus. He was a huge, gorgeous orange and white oranda. To this day, we still have no idea what actually made him ill and his only tank mate, a brown oranda named Hans, won't accept any other fish for longer than a month or two. I think he misses Augustus as much as we do. I recently drew a cartoon of Augustus for a mural at my work and it's really helped me feel better
Hey Sssea,

Thanks so much for sharing your (heartbreaking) experience in this thread -- I am so sorry for your loss; I know how that feels, believe me...your guy Augustus was adorable! Very much like our "Oscar" and "Sunshine," the Chocolate Fantail and Red Cap Oranda we lost in this bacterial infection outbreak; I know how you feel...

Can you give me some more details as far as what you mean by Hans "won't accept any other fish for longer than a month or two"? Does he fight with them? Do you have any pics of Hans? I'd love to see a brown Oranda!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdog348 View Post
Someone poisoned my Koi pond before with soap.. I guess that is related to your story. After I scooped out some expensive dead Koi, I put feeder goldies in it. After 2 years, its infested with them now, I'm planning to clean it out, sell the goldies and put more Koi in it using the money from the goldies.
Hey 'dog,

That is terrible about the poisoning -- did you ever find out who did it? Was it a neighbor or someone else? That is just so vile and downright cruel -- I don't know why people poison pets like dogs and fish in a pond; I will never understand that...

What did you mean by "its infested with them now"...do you mean the feeder goldies all grew up?

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com