Anyone else in the hobby alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear you all, I'm the only one in my family who likes Herps and Fishie's, my cousin loves fish but never listens to what I have to say or tell him to do.He put a Comet with kribs. NOT a smart idea, I told him a million times about the nitrogen cycle, he forgets everything about it a month later. I tell him cycle your tank for at least 3 months if you are having a saltwater( he wanted clownfish) then he tells me, why did my clownfish die?(BTW it was a 15 gallon, a HOB filter rated for 5 gallons and 5 clowns) I cycled the tank... For two weeks ? Patience young one! Then he told me, i want to get a Picasso trigger fish with clownfish! (WHAAA!?) He is older than me, I'm not even 14 Grah. My point is for me, no one in my family really gets my passion for fish,my mom was mad when I bought a 5.5 gallon with a bunch of necessities for a betta. I have a passion for reptiles also, when my sis saw my Anole lizards she said if a cricket escapes she will kill my lizards. Screw her, I'll kill her laptop. The only people who understand is people on these forums. You guys epic. (I really need to find an aquarium and herp talk group where i live)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well I got my friend a 3 gallon tank for birthday. I said it was only good for a betta. Well I went to the store with them to pick out fish. She wanted to get a black moor. It took forever to talk her out of it. She listens to her mom more then the "crazy fish guy" then she wants an angel fish. I barely talk her outta that one! So she decides she wants 3 platies. There was absolutely no talking her out of that one! This is the part that makes me mad tho. Before we left to the store her mom says to not tell her to get fish that have babies a lot. Then when she says she wanted platies I said they breed a lot. Her mom says to my friend " maybe you could get a boy and a girl so they can have babies, then you can be in the fish business" she also knew that I used to have platies but she had to ask an employee what food to get because she didn't believe me.

When we get to their house her mom floats then for like 30 seconds then puts in a tiny bit of water and dumps the whole bag of water in the tank. Even tho I said not to

Ugh it was so frustrating!

Fishobsessed7

It all boils down to interest and education. It's very hard to teach someone who isn't interested. And why would you want to learn about something you had no interest in? The only time I would do that is if I wanted to get closer to someone who was interested. It's about making the effort without showing enough interest to drop yourself in it. As a parent, really you should take the time out to show an interest in your child's hobby whether you are interested or not.

Mums have a tendency to dislike anything that could make a mess. My mum blamed my tank for weeks for a 'fishy' smell that was actually being caused by a faulty shower isolator switch arcing and burning the plastic.

Most younger brothers and sisters are too busy with their own interests to notice yours.

I'm sure if your mum got rid of your tanks and saw how unhappy you had become she would realise how much they made you happy and regret her decision, let you have them back and probably take the time to show a bit more interest.

I wouldn't worry too much, families can be like that. When you move out and take your tanks with you and your mum no longer has you around. She will soon find fish very interesting I can assure you.

For now just enjoy your hobby and try not to take too much notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For the most part my family and friends act politely interested, but none of them share my enthusiasm for the hobby. I suppose I'm pretty lucky since nobody is actively opposed to it, but that might change as I acquire more tanks :whistle:

It always fascinates me when people can't empathize with another person's passion for their hobbies. My mom is a total culinary geek and my gran is a master gardener, but they can't seem to grasp that fishkeeping means to me what those interests mean to them.

It fine if people aren't as interested, as long as they're not blatantly abusing fish just to have something pretty to look at. Drives me nuts! But if I start driving my boyfriend insane I just drive down to the LFS and chat with the people working there or come on here to get my fix lol
I think I'm turning my sister! She's always peeking at my tanks and then decided to get a betta and put it in one of those little plastic kit things. Now she's doing two-three 50% water changes a week, cleaning the gravel, and treating the water properly, asking me to "bring snackies" (bloodworms), texting me every time he blows bubbles or what he's up to, and is just about as excited as me for the ten gallon I'm putting together for her for the betta. Now she's all about getting some ghosties for the tank too. He's a cool little guy and I might get a convert! :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418391998.327240.jpg

Lovely colours. It's great that he's. Going in a 10 gallon. It's great that your sister is listening to you too.

I always get the threat that they will take down my tanks. Lol, I just respond good luck. I have a 55g and it was a pain getting uo the steps. Yea, no one like my tanks and I'm the only one that lucks at them. S

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I just set up a salty tank and got a Clownfish to shut them all up.

Seems to be working ?

Back
Top Bottom