anyone ever hung a mural?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
We bought my son a wall size mural (underwater scene). It has 8 parts and the directions say to overlap the seams a bit so when it dries it will be set perfectly with no spaces. Anyone ever done this before? I'm going to be hanging it on Saturday and any advice would be appreciated! Wish I could fast forward to having it up perfectly lol!

It kind of sounds like wallpaper (which I'm no expert on, lol). For wallpaper, you're supposed to overlap the seams 1/8 of an inch or something like that, so as it dries, it shrinks into the right position.

I looked at our bathroom wallpaper. One bathrooom is done a little better than the other one! You have to cut the paper perfectly straight or you'll see the crooked edges as the paper dries. But since you said your mural comes in sections, it sounds like it's already cut for you. Follow the directions carefully on the overlap part and you'll be fine!

My experience.... Just like An t-iasg said, about 1/8 inch over lap, and when you smooth it out, brush up and out, not side to side. Kind of in a "feather" pattern, Piece of cake ;) and it will look great!

Dont do it yourself hire someone to do it. They are pains in the butts to put up.

I have no advice to offer :oops: but I've seen murals before and I think they look really cool. Where did you find yours?

Home Depot, it was about $85. There are lots of websites for them too. Some are hugely expensive on the web though! Like $400 or more! The one we bought is really cool, my future marine biologist (he's 4) picked it out. It has his favorite, sea turtles along with a reef and many reef fish and an orca half jumping out of the water. If I was more computer savy I would attach a link for you...... :roll:

I looked on our favorites page and it is swdecorating.com Select see mural thumbnails and go to page 13 and it is "Harmony". Sherwin Williams has tons of nice murals. Their price is the same as Home Depot. We are going to put a beach scene in our bedroom. I guess it will be good practice doing my son's room! LOL.

The mural turned out so cool. One tip I can pass on and will be doing on my next mural is to measure and trim the paper to fit the wall first, BEFORE you get it wet with glue. It will not cut nicely no matter how sharp your blade, and letting it dry isn't easy either. Then it sticks to the ceiling and side walls.... We put decorative molding around the edges though so no one can see the rough trim job! Perfect! :p

Well, I'm a bit stone age...Don't have a digital, don't know how to post pics either. I do have a scanner to get the pics on my computer but the flash is broken on our 35mm. My husband has a camara on his phone, maybe that would work too. We really need to invest in a new digital camara!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom