Custom Tank Setup Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious903

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have decided to order a custom tank. But have not finalized my order yet as I still have some questions (mainly #5 below).

Ideally I'd like to get 36" long x 10" wide x 20??" high (think 24" high might be too tall for easy access).

Because the tank will be viewable from both sides (kitchen and living room), I'd like to keep accessories hidden or minimal so was thinking of a hanging type filter like the one in the Aqueon pic.

Any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

I came across the Aqueon 16 gallon Widescreen tank kit that caught my attention because I actually have a space for it.
However, they discontinued the tank last year.

I have run freshwater tanks before (at a previous house with more space) in various sizes.

I'm attaching some pictures and design ideas and will list what I'm looking for below.

1. I want to ensure I can easily access the top of the tank for maintenance etc.
2. Want to ensure I'm not putting too much of a load on the wall.
3. Would like to go as large as I can keeping to 1 & 2 above.
4. I don't want a 10 gallon tank. Would preferably like at least 20 gallons to hold the type of fish & live plants I want to put in the tank.
5. Once you look at the measurements provided in the PDF attachment, I'd like to know if the tank is okay to be on the part of the shelf that overhangs (which could give me a 10"W tank), or if I should not use the overhang (limiting me to around 8"W like the Aqueon Widescreen).
6. I would also need a custom lid. Not sure if I want sliding or hinged. I want to be able to put an LED light bar on top of the tank.

Attachments

• Aquarium Custom Idea.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Aqueon 16 Wide 1.jpeg
    Aqueon 16 Wide 1.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 20
I’d say you’re fine going full width of that shelf. It appears to be fairly heavy and the amount of overhang is minimal. Walls like that are typically openings in a load bearing wall between rooms. so there should be no concern with the weight being there, if the tank collapses the wall, the roof will come down with it!

Personally I’d go as long and wide as you can fit in there. Height, well like you already know, height will have to be whatever you deem a reasonable balance between capacity and accessibility

Depending on the bioload you plan on having in there, an in-tank filter could be used at one end of the tank and made relatively hidden for a nice clean look

I’d assume your placement is between the dining area and the living room? (Desired Viewing quality would be the same from both sides). I’d definitely try an in-tank filter and try to hide it in the scape.

Thanks so much for the reply!!

I feel much better about the 10” width now ��

I’ve also convinced myself to go with a canister filter again because they are so quiet and have the ability to add custom media.

Now to narrow down which canister filter I want. Had an Eheim before. Thinking of the Fluval 207 or 307 this time.
Once I know which filter I’m getting, then I can let Miracles Aquarium know where I need the holes cut in the custom glass lid.
Still looking at glass lids as well. Can’t decide if I want sliding or hinged ��.

I have decided to order a custom tank. But have not finalized my order yet as I still have some questions (mainly #5 below).

Ideally I'd like to get 36" long x 10" wide x 20??" high (think 24" high might be too tall for easy access).

Because the tank will be viewable from both sides (kitchen and living room), I'd like to keep accessories hidden or minimal so was thinking of a hanging type filter like the one in the Aqueon pic.

Any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

I came across the Aqueon 16 gallon Widescreen tank kit that caught my attention because I actually have a space for it.
However, they discontinued the tank last year.

I have run freshwater tanks before (at a previous house with more space) in various sizes.

I'm attaching some pictures and design ideas and will list what I'm looking for below.

1. I want to ensure I can easily access the top of the tank for maintenance etc.
2. Want to ensure I'm not putting too much of a load on the wall.
3. Would like to go as large as I can keeping to 1 & 2 above.
4. I don't want a 10 gallon tank. Would preferably like at least 20 gallons to hold the type of fish & live plants I want to put in the tank.
5. Once you look at the measurements provided in the PDF attachment, I'd like to know if the tank is okay to be on the part of the shelf that overhangs (which could give me a 10"W tank), or if I should not use the overhang (limiting me to around 8"W like the Aqueon Widescreen).
6. I would also need a custom lid. Not sure if I want sliding or hinged. I want to be able to put an LED light bar on top of the tank.

I would highly recommend an acrylic tank. You can get them built to any dimension. They are lightweight, clearer than glass, and can easily be drilled for inflow, outflow on the sides or bottom so that you can hide filter mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom