anyone got a weird set up with fish that shouldn't work but do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beernboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a plattie, mollie, beta, guppy, masked Julie cichlid tank that works. Was just keeping the julies in there till they matured but it is working. They actually protectin the platties. Anyone got somethin weired to share?

Loads of people go on about male Gouramis don't get along but mine do theyre the best of friends!!

There's 3 black skirt tetras in my mbuna cichlid tank. They were my cycle fish. And they were left in there when I started adding the cichlids. They still get along great the cichlids leave them alone.

I think it has allot to do with what fish you pit in there first and how much attention you actually pay to your fish. I actually pet my fish. And hand feed them sometimes. I got my hands in the tank every day. They kind of like puppies. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see the size difference with the tetras and the cichlids and of course I forgot to mention that there is a rainbow shark in there too he gets along just fine too.

ForumRunner_20120717_185209.jpg

I had just introduced a new platty to my tank. The beta kept flaring up and chasing him around. He went to the bottom and set next to my cichlid. The beta followed him and flared up at him and got poked in the side by the cichlid he was sitting beside. Lol already friends.

Nimo said:
You can see the size difference with the tetras and the cichlids and of course I forgot to mention that there is a rainbow shark in there too he gets along just fine too.

Perfect pic.

Until I had to get rid of my tank to move... it lasted like 6 months!

I had dwarf puffers with neon and blood tetras, longfin danio, chocolate gourami and an angelfish.

Well I don't know of you would say this wouldn't work but I have:
3 bloodfin tetras
1 blue gourami( very old... In bad shape:()
2 angelfish
1 African leaf fish( leopard ctenopoma) don't know if I spelled that right
3 black khuli loaches
1 kribensis cichlid
1 rainbow shark
And there's a betta condo in there with 3 Bettas
1 veil tail male( chile)
1 veil tail female( prim)
1 delta tail male( Yankee)

I have 3 rope fish, at least 8 inches long, in my discus tank with black skirt tetras and they sleep in this little cave with my two kuhli loaches. Lol

I have edited out the off topic and content free posts (+1 x2 etc). Aquaria Off Topic is a designated area for the discussion of aquaria related topics that do not fit into any of the other categories of the site. We have the watering hole subforum for all non aquaria related topics. If beernboots would like to show pictures of the snake he may do so there.

For my opinions on odd stock lists see below.

Many 'odd stock lists' may seem to work in the short term (months). Incompatible fish, as juveniles, can coexist quite easily in the same tank. Problems start to occur as these fish reach maturity then breeding behavior, aggression and their size start to come into play. I'm sure there are some tanks out there with incompatible fish being kept together but these are an exception to the rule. I'd like to see some of the tanks in 2-3 years time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom