Are root tabs bad for dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
So a few minutes ago, I went to go get something and forgot to close my bedroom door all the way. When I came back, my stupid greedy lab had eaten through all of my fish food including the containers, some fake plants that were in a bag, a plastic spoon, and most of my root tabs. Do they have anything in them that is potentially toxic to dogs?

I have Flourish tabs and the only warning says keep away from children.

I found these pet poison control links, #5 is free so maybe give them a call:

pet poison control links

And please update, my idiot dogs are always sniffing around my fish supplies....

What kind of root tabs? How many were there?

The only thing I would be worried about in root tabs is extra ammonia and potassium. However, assuming the digestive system and kidneys are functioning properly it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for the feedback and links. He doesn't seem to be sick, but it's hard to tell since he's just lying around moping because he got caught.

What kind of root tabs? How many were there?

The only thing I would be worried about in root tabs is extra ammonia and potassium. However, assuming the digestive system and kidneys are functioning properly it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with mebbid
your dog may have a upset stomach till they pass and may want to eat grass to help him vomit , which wouldn't be a bad thing ,
and with all the extra potassium he may become constipated
# 1 rule with children and pets keep anything that can hurt them or can be ingested out of reach as curiosity always draws them ,

I know how you said you keep your door shut but still anything you know that could possibly harm him should be out of reach or locked up, prime example "he got into your room" it may have been accidental but things like this can be prevented.
hope your pup is ok and don't have too big of a tummy ach
better to be over protected than not protected enough dogs are like kids everything goes in the mouth ,
hope you called your local veterinarian just for precaution

Iron poisoning - big issue, if he stays lethargic he could have it there are things they can give to bind with the iron for it to pass, or he could die from it. Would be good to know what kind you have.

Did you ever call your vet or poison control , what did they say , I'm hoping for the best
soon as you can update us
thank you

Haha gotta love Labs and their ability to eat just about anything and come out relatively unscathed, It's one of the main reasons that I never got another one.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So a few minutes ago, I went to go get something and forgot to close my bedroom door all the way. When I came back, my stupid greedy lab had eaten through all of my fish food including the containers, some fake plants that were in a bag, a plastic spoon, and most of my root tabs. Do they have anything in them that is potentially toxic to dogs?

I had a golden retriever who would eat anything, when he was young, like your lab. I was concerned more for all the other stuff your lab ate! Eating plastic can be very bad for your dog's stomach. It also depends on how many root tabs he ate. Granted, they probably weren't good for him but his size also helps him handle it "better". Just be careful what all he actually ingest. It unfortunately was the demise of my goldie. He was 9 yrs old and he decided for some reason to eat a whole cardboard box (sm to med size). I had no idea at his age he would do that because he hadn't done anything like that in a long time. Needless to say, he got really sick. Took him to the vet the next day and that afternoon he died.

You need to keep your supplies in your closet or dresser drawer, please for the sake of your dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You need to keep your supplies in your closet or dresser drawer, please for the sake of your dog.

I do, but he's determined to get all the food he can. He has stolen food right in front of me, jumped five feet up INTO a cupboard at someone else's house, and even figured out how to open the bread box.

I do, but he's determined to get all the food he can. He has stolen food right in front of me, jumped five feet up INTO a cupboard at someone else's house, and even figured out how to open the bread box.

My lab would get into the cupboards and fridge. He even at one time got into the fridge chewed the lid off of a jar of hot peppers, ate them, drank the juice then apparently started on the lid. Somehow the bits of lid did no damage going down, but the surgery to have them removed cost me a fortune. I'm sure if he could have eaten the jar he would've. He was the most troublesome dog I ever owned.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Time for some more training. That is a crazy dog.

His previous owner did very minimal training, which I've been trying to work on improving. Not only is he obsessed with food, he is also very rude! But I still love him.

I can understand. I have a 7 year old golden who spent the first 4 years of her life in an outdoor kennel. Somehow you are going to have to come up with something. Buy a safe! Jk but seriously maybe a container with a latch that's hard to open?.

Products used to "baby proof" or "baby safe" cabinets, drawers, and doors may be helpful in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Products used to "baby proof" or "baby safe" cabinets, drawers, and doors may be helpful in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or attach a latch to your fish stuff cabinet and buy a lock to put on it. That is a serious danger if he continues to eat plastic and things like root tabs. The fish food won't hurt him. (y)

Back
Top Bottom