Bad experiences at the Fish/Pet Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have you ever had bad customer service? Known more about the fish than the person who got your fish for you? Received bad fish? Has the employee that got your fish sounded stupid or was completely wrong? Have you ever had to fight or argue with someone at the store?

A long time ago I asked for a clown Pleco. The guy tried to net a saltwater clown fish for me... I had to stop him before he put the net in the tank.

When I first started I had a guy sell me 4 pink Gouramis for a tiny tank. About a week later they were back at the store.

[store] is notorious for them. I got a fish once from there and they had no clue about anything..filled the bag with about an inch of water..dropped the fish from about a foot and a half in the air into the bag and just tied the bag off with no air. All this time she was talking to another employee about how that fish are tough and it would be fine and stuff cuz he even seen that she was horrible at it. I got out of their as fast as I could and got him to a safe place.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my employees just replaced the fish in her 10gal tank. She used the advice of the [store] employee and came back with the following:
-4 Ghost shrimp -Ok
-Three Silver Mollys - Mollys too big for a 10gal - Huge bio load
-Two plays - Ok without Mollys
-Two Neons - Without fish OK in greater numbers like six
-Three Black Skirted Tetras - Now it is a war zone.
I suspect by tomorrow she will have skirted tetras and maybe a ripped up molly ot two.

I was once regaled with a detailed story of how one time the guy getting my fish had a really strange trip on dramamine. This was at petsmart, after the dude had caught whatever fish I was getting. Guy knew his fish, though. The story started off with something about how he woke up one day to his 2 foot pleco having jumped from his 200gal tank in his living room and somehow ended up at him seeing a dragon on the side of the road when he got high one time. Strange dude, not unlike the ihop server who once practically glued himself to me and my ex when we were there, when he was not *our* server, because he liked my ex's pants - and then proceeded to tell us about how he got banned from Walmart when he was 14. Strange people find me.

Can't really think of any other bad customer service in a fish store, though. Actually, today I had a nice chat with the girl working in walmart's pet department. She even made sure I knew where to find the female bettas if I wanted one, since they are practically hidden on the shelf next to the tanks on the wall, over the sink and mixed in with all the supplies for use by the employees. I also noticed that the section has been looking better lately, and now i know why. Theres someone who cares working the department! We probably talked for 10-15 minutes, about fish, bettas, breeding, and horses, which she works with. She even ended up pulling out her phone to show me a picture of her horse, lol.

One of my employees just replaced the fish in her 10gal tank. She used the advice of the [store] employee and came back with the following:
-4 Ghost shrimp -Ok
-Three Silver Mollys - Mollys too big for a 10gal - Huge bio load
-Two plays - Ok without Mollys
-Two Neons - Without fish OK in greater numbers like six
-Three Black Skirted Tetras - Now it is a war zone.
I suspect by tomorrow she will have skirted tetras and maybe a ripped up molly ot two.

I mean..that isn't the best stock, but I've seen people do way worse. I have seen the employee sell oscars to people that say they're putting it in a 10 gallon. I just hope they'll upgrade everytime I hear that.

My Lfs almost sold three synodontis cats to me as clown plecos. At another Lfs, I was told that fahaka and dwarf puffers are brackish water fish

Sometimes I wonder: Is it better to not take the fish and inform the owner of the store that his/her employee wanted to sell you that $20.00 fish as a $5.00 fish or is it better to just take the cheap deal and let the chips fall where they may? Just remember, if too many deals like that happen, LFSs will all go out of business then all we will be left with are unqualified people in chain stores to help us. Makes me shiver at the possibilty. :-O
Just something to think about....;)

Back
Top Bottom