Burst tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here had a large tank suddenly burst open or break in their house? How common is it, and what are the most likely causes?

Mine broke and luckily I had another tank to put my guy in. My son was playing with my dog he threw a toy and well it smashed! Took us ages to clean up the mess.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a 40b crack and leak 10 gal onto the floor. Luckily I had a pile of towels there so it wasn't too bad. I'd say the most common reason is poor support. If the stand is not adequate and the tank twists or distorts, a big tank will pop like a water baloon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't had a big one crack open, but I had the fluval (external) connector split in the middle of the night and effectively pump out/syphon 100 gallons of water :( I woke up to the sound of a waterfall as It's on the second floor and it just poored through the floor into the room below.... I wasn't too popular!

needless to say, we now have a huge barrel full of old towels incase it ever happens again :)

It is not common at all, but it does happen.

It come sometimes start as a leak and eventually just blow open. Obviously a heavy sharp object impacting the inside or outside of the glass can sometimes break it. Keep in mind the, bigger the tank, the thicker the glass.

I've never heard of one to just break open all of a sudden, although the possibility is there. There's a couple of things that could cause it. Weak glass, old sealant, not being level to name a few. Not a full blown break, but one did fracture and leak at the T-Rex Restaraunt in Disney, Orlando.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/03/18/giant-fish-tank-bursts-open-at-downtown-disney-restaurant/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I've heard of the mr. Aqua rimless tanks letting go at the seam, never a rimmed tank though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom