Carbon and water conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chemical Medium

Does carbon removes water contitioner from the water?

Hello phil...

Carbon is meant to remove pollutants from the tank water. But, it won't remove all of them. I doubt it would affect water conditioner that's specifically for aquarium use, because it doesn't contain anything toxic.

B

That's a very good question. I'm not exactly sure what the answer is as the science behind how activated carbon works is a little over my head and I don't particularly care enough to spend the 4 to 5 hours it would take to learn it :D

Why do you ask?

I believe that the majority of quality water conditioners have an immediate chemical reaction upon contact with water, neutralizing chlorine, ammonia, and a variety of heavy metals. If you follow my method, simply dumping a little conditioner in a 5 gal bucket, filling with water, which mixes in the conditioner, then pour into the tank, you should have no problems.
I change about 50 gal. A week from my display tank alone. That translates to only one cap full
of water conditioner.

Very interesting question. I don’t think so for the water conditioner but not so sure on other compounds that might be in something like seachem prime. I’ve never noticed anything though when using carbon or read anything on water conditioner labels. Will see what links I have.

I think the reaction is so quick as well.

IMO the conditioner works much faster then the carbon ever could so the carbon does not have time to effect the conditioner.
I use seachem Safe [dry version of Prime] and it removes [de activates chlorine ] in under 10 minutes ...Carbon [even the best] will not work that fast.

Back
Top Bottom