Cave/broken pot safe for a Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been wanting to get a betta fish safe cave or "broken" pot for our betta. Most of the ones I find are a little rough or even have some sharpness to them. Which for most fish is probably not an issue, but for delicate betta fins, it would be an issue. Plus he likes to brush against things when he swims by them, so we need to be extra careful with what we get him for his tank! If it's a rock, I'd rather it be a fake rock.
And absolutely no little crannies where a fish could get stuck or lost!

I was thinking something like this but obviously betta safe:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/...uarium-b-font-Fish-Tank-font-b-Decoration.jpg
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/8/800443186886C.jpg

Currently he had a floating log, which I didn't find unsafe for him (I felt all around it thoroughly!) HE LOVES IT! He's always swimming in and out of it, and it's fun to watch him do that.
So maybe he doesn't even "need" a cave, but, I want to get him one if possible :)

This is the log we have (it's not the smallest one, I think the next size up. Its about 4-6 inches long I think.
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/097612240054C.jpg

The first one is great for a curious betta. :) It sounds like your darling betta is a curious little fella (and handsome!!) and he should have a lot of fun swimming through the first one. Just make sure he doesn't get too chubby (Bettas are master beggers. They're like finned puppies! :ROFLMAO: )

I love the first one too! It seems sharp though in some spots when I touch it. He likes to rub against things while he swims around so I am concerned.

Oh I know... he is a beggar for sure! Once in a while he gets an extra pellet, but, he gets 1 freeze dried blood worm in the am and 1-2 pellets, and two pellets at night. Every Wednesday he is a grumpy fish because it is his fasting day.

Some sandpaper can take care of any sharp edges. And it's definitely the bettas training us lol

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the tip! :D

We are going to get some pygmy cory cat fish soon, so, we need something for them to hide in too ;)

And oh yes. This fish knows how to get what he wants. I have to tell hubby to not give into him sometimes though, I don't want him getting too much to eat :p

You're welcome! Just make sure you use untreated sandpaper and keep an eye on that hubby! Men are suckers most of the time lol

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love the first one too! It seems sharp though in some spots when I touch it. He likes to rub against things while he swims around so I am concerned.

Oh I know... he is a beggar for sure! Once in a while he gets an extra pellet, but, he gets 1 freeze dried blood worm in the am and 1-2 pellets, and two pellets at night. Every Wednesday he is a grumpy fish because it is his fasting day.

Lol - every time I try a fasting day, the fish take it out on the plants (vindictively I'm sure)!

Lol - every time I try a fasting day, the fish take it out on the plants (vindictively I'm sure)!

HA! I had one betta who'd try and point to his food container and then ram the tank until he got food lol. Unless we turned on his multicolored LED lights. Then he was thoroughly content staring into the pretty lights :ROFLMAO:

I think either of the pots you are looking at is betta safe enough. They have a protective slime coating for a reason after all. ;)
I love that floating log. I may pick up a couple of those to try because I have multiple fish who would love one.

I think either of the pots you are looking at is betta safe enough. They have a protective slime coating for a reason after all. ;)
I love that floating log. I may pick up a couple of those to try because I have multiple fish who would love one.

Thanks :) Do you think pygmy catfish would like the pot too?

Oh my word our betta LOVES HIS LOG. He is obsessed with it. Especially now that we have started feeding him in there... :)

Thanks :) Do you think pygmy catfish would like the pot too?

Oh my word our betta LOVES HIS LOG. He is obsessed with it. Especially now that we have started feeding him in there... :)

I would think so. Though, my dwarf cories didn't ever really use caves much. They generally just schooled around around wherever, or would hang out on/under plant leaves. Both bettas and dwarf cories love anubias plants.

I would think so. Though, my dwarf cories didn't ever really use caves much. They generally just schooled around around wherever, or would hang out on/under plant leaves. Both bettas and dwarf cories love anubias plants.

We aren't quite ready for real plants yet, although I'm sure both the catfish and the betta would love them. We have quite a few fake plants of different variety though. And pretty black sand.

Are real plants hard to deal with? Do they ever come with parasites or anything you don't really want? We may try it at some point, I know they are good for the tank and the fish, but, we just started having a tank and it's all still so new to us, so we don't want to mess with anything else yet :)

We aren't quite ready for real plants yet, although I'm sure both the catfish and the betta would love them. We have quite a few fake plants of different variety though. And pretty black sand.

Are real plants hard to deal with? Do they ever come with parasites or anything you don't really want? We may try it at some point, I know they are good for the tank and the fish, but, we just started having a tank and it's all still so new to us, so we don't want to mess with anything else yet :)

As long as you get some kind of a fluorescent light or led (just not incandescent), real plants can be very easy. I have real plants in every tank, and all I do is shove root tabs under them sometimes when I think of it. I only buy super low maintenance plants. I think they add a lot of the tank, and fish really love them. They also eat up nitrates which is nice. :)
I have never gotten any sort of parasite, but it is quite possible to get snails. Personally, I could not care less about pond snails though. I just leave them be to do their thing. They are a good way to know if you are over feeding, because excess food makes their population grow quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom